Author Topic: The Last Tombstone Standing  (Read 6628 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
The Last Tombstone Standing
« on: Sep 29 2007 - 07:43PM »
Hi all, I just thought I might share this picture with you.  As I have said before, Bachelor's Grove Cemetery is in very bad shape.  Vandals have either destroyed or stolen every tombstone in the whole gaveyard,  except for this one..........The Last One Standing.  This is the "Fulton" Tombstone

This is a picture of the entrance to the graveyard, as it looked years ago.  Today the gates are broken and the sign is gone

Here is the picture of "The Fulton Tombstone", the last tombstone still standing.

Copyright © 2007, Bachelor's Grove Paranormal Forums 
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Darkone

• Apparition
  • RIP
Re: The Last Tombstone Standing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05 2007 - 07:47PM »
It's truly terrible the shape of this cemetery, no wonder it's so haunted.   Why does no one take care of this place, not even mow the lawn.  The upkeep of this cemetery is a disgrace, there are people buried here.  They deserve respect!

Offline Rivers

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27 2007 - 04:05PM »
I agree with Darkone....After my last visit it was disheartening to see the abuse these graves have taken and the neglect by the city to protect the cemetary. I love a good ghost hunt as much as anyone, however it is senseless to desicrate these graves.
Micheal Rivers: Author of Voyage of The Black Witch. Coming soon!! Ghosts of the Coastal plains.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29 2007 - 12:49AM »
 :V: Yeah that kind of sickens me that our culture doesn't have any more respect than this for the final resting place of our ancestors. Once something can no longer bring in a profit it is forgotten about until someone dares to try and fenagle a buck out it somehow and then that's prolly how we wind up sharing living quarters with some pissed off spirit..... cho
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Damon

• Paranormal Programer
  • Ghost Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06 2007 - 12:10AM »
Consider the property surrounding the graveyard is under the care of the cook county forest preserve (which is why they patrol it) and seeing how cook county has neglected most of the forest preserves throught the years (like the toboggan slides at swallow cliff) surely they cant find any money to deal with the graveyard.
In an exerpt from Brad L. Bettenhausen, President of the Tinley Park Historical Society, it is explained that the cemetery is now under the supervision and responsibility of the Cemetery Trustees (under the Real Estate Management Office) of the Cook County Board. The County Board was approached by an aged Clarence Fulton in the fall of 1975 to take charge of the care and maintenance of the old cemetery. Mr. Fulton had previously requested Bremen Township's assistance in caring for the cemetery in 1967, but had been turned down. Clarence Fulton indicated that there was a Bachelor Grove Cemetery Association, but no official record appears to exist for the organization. In researching the history of the legal title to the cemetery at that time, it was determined that title probably still rested in the hands of the descendants of Edward M. Everden, since no deed could be found for the cemetery itself and subsequent deeds and property transfers specifically excluded the one acre cemetery. After clarifying the legal description and boundaries of the cemetery and obtaining clear title through condemnation procedures, Cook County assumed responsibility for the cemetery in about 1976. Through intergovernmental agreements, maintenance of the cemetery is now shared with the Cook County Forest Preserve District. According to an unsubstantiated account, the Chicago Archdiocese of the Catholic Church has also provided some maintenance for the cemetery from time to time on behalf of the County in years past.
I have also come across a web site from a group called the Grover Restoration Project that seems to try once a year to get a permit from the forest preserve to go to the cemetary and clean it and the path leading to it of overgrowth and trash. So I guess there are some people who do care about what happens. Maybe we can also get involved. I would be much more willing to go there with lots of people than i would with just a few. (yea I'll admit it - I'm a big chicken)  :Y:

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06 2007 - 01:09AM »
I am totally with you Damon.  I like your idea.
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Maggpie

• Ghost runner
  • Shaman
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06 2007 - 01:12AM »
When we were there in beginning of November there were a few big garbage bags right out front of the entrance full of trasah.  It looked as if people were trying to clean it up a little then.  I really hope they keep it up.
Heather & Maggie

Offline The Shadow

• Paranormal PI
  • Shaman
  • Tonight on Bachelors-Grove.com
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27 2008 - 12:36PM »
I know a few people who do the restoration project every year.

If we dont take action no one wil
Did I just see what I think I saw? Yeah you did! Now lets put it on Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Tenbears

• Apparition
    • conspiracy 2012
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02 2008 - 03:38AM »
Very kewl!, I like the pix'z of how things used to look.
« Last Edit: Sep 20 2010 - 06:02AM by Tenbears »

Offline Marion76

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04 2008 - 03:56PM »
I went there for the first time on Saturday and saw how sad it is there. I can't believe how people can do such a thing to such a sacred place.  :^( I would love to help clean that place up. We should start a petition to get the county to DO something to take care of BG. And in our free time, we should go help clean up the crap occasionally.
~Marion
There seems to be an alien pubic hair in my drink!

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05 2008 - 06:16PM »
Marion, lookie here!!!! ---> Clicky Me!

I'm trying to get information from the county regarding the caretaker status of the Grove, and hoping to move it back into private hands, people who actually care.
Loading Signature...

Offline Marion76

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06 2008 - 12:50AM »
Sounds cool!
~Marion

Offline Rachael

• General
  • Ghost Hunter
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12 2008 - 02:01PM »
I just went for the first time with my daughter on Sunday, and we have vowed to never go there again without gloves and garbage bags to pick up trash as we go.  Really, take your beer and condoms elsewhere! And due to the drunken idiots who were having a gay old time running around screaming ghostly noises, I may have to bring a stun gun too.  ..sigh... I have a very hard time not hating people sometimes....
Respect.  Mah.  Authoritah!  

Offline Tommyboy67

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12 2008 - 03:13PM »
That's the reason why the BGC is so haunted!  The ghosts are pissed off about the vandalism by the punk kids & the neglect by the county.

Rachael, You rock!!!!!!  bo
"Fat guy in a little coat" 
sere

Offline Marion76

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12 2008 - 03:25PM »
I just went for the first time with my daughter on Sunday, and we have vowed to never go there again without gloves and garbage bags to pick up trash as we go.  Really, take your beer and condoms elsewhere! And due to the drunken idiots who were having a gay old time running around screaming ghostly noises, I may have to bring a stun gun too.  ..sigh... I have a very hard time not hating people sometimes....
=D> You said it! I've been there once so far and I was apalled at the sight of the place. It's so sad. Some people are just sick and have nothing better to do.
~Marion