Author Topic: Congress Hotel Gold Ballroom  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Marion76

• Ghost Hunter
Re: Congress Hotel Gold Ballroom
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18 2008 - 10:18AM »
There's this strange fascination with places where a lot of people died. Does that make us morbid people? Because I look for places like that to investigate. Have you ever thought of it like that? I just gave myself the creeps.  wh  LOL
~Marion
There seems to be an alien pubic hair in my drink!

Offline MusicianMommy

• Apparition
    • Musician...Mommy...MAYHEM!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18 2008 - 11:41PM »
I think that because of what happens *after* death being basically unknown beyond individual beliefs, humans as a whole always seem to have a fascination with death - as long as it's not THEIRS.

It *is* a little morbid, but don't worry - you are NOT alone in your searching!  LOL
Making the world a crazier place since 1981

Offline Marion76

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #17 on: Sep 19 2008 - 10:22AM »
PHEW!  :Y:
~Marion

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22 2008 - 11:37PM »
Wow Fred...great story about your grandmother.  Welcome to the forum.  I am looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24 2008 - 05:38PM »
Hey Fred. Sorry I'm a little late in responding to your posts. That was a great story. Thank you for sharing that with us. I hope to see more of your posts. Don't be shy. Tell us any story that you have even if it's a little one. I love personal experience stories more than anythig! It sounds as though that one night was quite exciting! Thanks again for posting it and

WELCOME TO THE FORUM FRED!!
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline adamselzer

• Ghost Hunter
  • from Weird Chicago Tours
    • Weird Chicago Blog
« Reply #20 on: Oct 01 2008 - 06:58PM »
Hi, Fred (and everyone)! Adam from Weird Chicago here. The Congress, like any haunted place, seems to go in and out of being active. Months will go by where nothing happens, but, lately, weird things have happened there about half the times I've been there. The night Fred (and the demon lady) were there was the first nigh we heard the "gun shot" mentioned on the blog (weirdchicagoblog.com), which has since re-appeared but still hasn't been explained. That night there were also some strange, colored lights dancing on the ceiling in the lobby outside of the gold room. Never saw them before or since.  If a lot of people were carrying drinks, I'd guess it was reflections from that, but I honestly don't remember if that was a "drinking" tour or not. [float=right][/float]

I never really hold anything up as evidence of the paranormal - there's really no such thing as "good" evidence, only "cool" evidence (a point I'll be making ad nauseum in YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD GIVES ME THE CREEPS: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter, which I'm writing for Llewellyn to be published next year). Orbs, in particular, are nice to get on tours, but I'm pretty upfront about the fact that the vast majority of them are going to be explained away in the morning (and even if they aren't, it's a big leap to say 'it's not dust, so it must be a dead guy'). In the Gold Room, in particular, there's a LOT of dust floating around. Just a lot. We don't get a lot of good photos there; my favorite is of this weird hand we found in a closet one ime. Probably just a glove that got plastered over by a construction worker with a weird sense of humor, but we call it The Hand of Drywall Dave:

Incidentally, over the course of this week there'll be a few posts on the blog about murders at the congress (goodness me, a lot of people died in that joint!)!

http://www.weirdchicagoblog.com
http://www.adamselzer.com

Check out my book: "Weird Chicago: Forgotten History, Strange Legends and Mysterious Hauntings" in stores now!
Coming in September from Llewellyn : "Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter"

Offline Marion76

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #21 on: Oct 02 2008 - 12:16AM »
 Welcome Sign aboard, Adam! It'll be neat to have your viewpoints added in on everything we all analyze. The more the merrier! That's a really cool pic (even if it's not a person in there). ;) Again, welcome to the forum!! =D>
~Marion

Offline adamselzer

• Ghost Hunter
  • from Weird Chicago Tours
    • Weird Chicago Blog
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13 2008 - 08:40AM »
Hey folks - just a head's up: the mysterious "gunshot" noise was back in the ballroom on Friday night. This time, though, it was heard SEVERAL times, and sounded like it was coming from the ceiling. This time, we caught it on video. It'll be posted on the weird chicago blog ( http://www.weirdchicagoblog.com ) tomorrow morning, a long with pictures of exactly what's above the ballroom. I thought that someone must be banging around on the floor above on Friday, but that explanation, at least, has been pretty solidly disproven.
http://www.weirdchicagoblog.com
http://www.adamselzer.com

Check out my book: "Weird Chicago: Forgotten History, Strange Legends and Mysterious Hauntings" in stores now!
Coming in September from Llewellyn : "Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter"