Author Topic: The Famous Woman on the Gravestone Picture  (Read 20034 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
The Famous Woman on the Gravestone Picture
« on: Dec 03 2007 - 11:55AM »
Here is that famous picture from 1991 of the Bachelors Grove woman.

The Madonna of Bachelor's Grove

This photo was taken during an investigation of Bachelor's Grove cemetery near Chicago by the Ghost Research Society (GRS). On August 10, 1991, several members of of the GRS were at the cemetery, a small, abandoned graveyard on the edge of the Rubio Woods Forest Preserve, near the suburb of Midlothian, Illinois. Reputed to be one of the most haunted cemeteries in the U.S., Bachelor's Grove has been the site of well over 100 different reports of strange phenomena, including apparitions, unexplained sights and sounds, and even glowing balls of light.

GRS member Judy Huff was taking black and white photos with a high-speed infrared camera in an area where the group had experienced some anomalies with their ghost-hunting equipment. The cemetery was empty, except for the GRS members. When developed, this image emerged: what looks like a lonely-looking young woman dressed in white sitting on a tombstone. Parts of her body are partially transparent and the style of the dress seems to be out of date.

Here is Judy's first Radio Interview on Thresholds Radio with John Stephenson:  http://ufo-info.com/show/9302012/

Here is a quote from the book "The Ghost Hunter's Guidebook" By Troy Taylor about this picture:

I received a copy of this photo and had it examined by several independent photographers. Most of them would have liked to come up with a reason why the photo could not be real, but unfortunately they couldn't. They ruled out the idea of a double exposure and also the theory that the person in the photo was a living woman who was placed in the photo and made to appear like she was a ghost. One skeptic also claimed that the woman in the photo was casting a shadow. but according to the photographers who analyzed the image, the "shadow" is actually nothing more the natural shading of the landscape. Besides that, one of them asked, if she is casting a shadow in that direction, then why isn't anything else in the frame doing the same?
Photo by Judy Huff-Felz
« Last Edit: Nov 26 2012 - 05:03PM by Banshee »
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Maggpie

• Ghost runner
  • Shaman
RE: The Famous Woman on the Gravestone Picture
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09 2007 - 12:05AM »
This is just an amazing photo!  Have people tried to examine the original.........does anyone know? 
Heather & Maggie

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
RE: The Famous Woman on the Gravestone Picture
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09 2007 - 12:11AM »
This is just an amazing photo!  Have people tried to examine the original.........does anyone know? 

Been analyzed by the best experts in the country many times over.  Always comes out the same.....100% real!
It's one of the most famous ghost pictures in the world!
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Tommyboy67

• Mere Mortal
Re: The Famous Woman on the Gravestone Picture
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03 2008 - 01:35PM »
This photo is the real deal, indeed.
"Fat guy in a little coat" 
sere

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04 2009 - 01:29PM »
I am in no way saying that I don't believe in this photo. I love this photo and I WANT it to be the "real deal".  I am only bringing this up so that someone can post back and tell me that I'm not seeing this. ......Also I'm not so certain that ghosts never ever cast shadows. As I have said in this forum on another occasion .....there seems to be some evidence that ghosts CAN create just about any image themselves that they want even a slight shadow appearance...but anyway I am looking at her right leg and foot. Were it is outstretched there seems to be a shadow underneath her leg....looking the very same shape and distance as her leg and foot.  What do yall think?
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04 2009 - 02:27PM »
I am in no way saying that I don't believe in this photo. I love this photo and I WANT it to be the "real deal".  I am only bringing this up so that someone can post back and tell me that I'm not seeing this. ......Also I'm not so certain that ghosts never ever cast shadows. As I have said in this forum on another occasion .....there seems to be some evidence that ghosts CAN create just about any image themselves that they want even a slight shadow appearance...but anyway I am looking at her right leg and foot. Were it is outstretched there seems to be a shadow underneath her leg....looking the very same shape and distance as her leg and foot.  What do yall think?

I never really questioned this picture at all because it has been analyzed by numerous professional photographers and they can do way more with a picture then I could ever dream of doing.

Here is a quote from the book "The Ghost Hunter's Guidebook" By Troy Taylor about this picture:

One skeptic also claimed that the woman in the photo was casting a shadow. but according to the photographers who analyzed the image, the "shadow" is actually nothing more the natural shading of the landscape. Besides that, one of them asked, if she is casting a shadow in that direction, then why isn't anything else in the frame doing the same?

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04 2009 - 04:32PM »
Being a ghost is something that on one hand it seems easy to think about but then the little questions get you. Like how could a ghost possibly be overweight? It's not like they eat anything. And if it is just that they look the way they did when they were living then is it true that you are stuck with what you look like the day that you die? That would mean that you might get stuck with a mangled body. Then some psychics or clarivoyants say that they come thru looking the way that you remember them but what if you don't know them? And this would mean that they could ....if they wanted to change appearances so why then would they want to be overweight or mangled to ppl who never saw them that way.......  che   Sorry ....these are just questions that bug me sometimes.

I wonder what I would have to look like as a ghost. And my weight goes up n down like a yoyo. One year I'm "Olive Oil" ....I'm talking so skinny my relatives try to feed me lard to put weight on me n then the next year I can't eat a peice of lettuce without gaining 10 lbs! I've gained 40 lbs in the past 7 months! But all it really would take is for me to give away all of my skinny clothes n I'd be Olive Oil again!  I wonder what I will look like as a ghost! I don't have a very good referrence cause I'm always different!  This stuff kind of drives me nuts when I start wondering about it.
« Last Edit: Jan 12 2009 - 08:58AM by colleen2510 »
~Colleen~

Offline Theone321

• Mere Mortal
  • skulls up
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08 2009 - 08:57PM »
ITS SO STRANGE IT LOOKS FAKE BUT ITS REAL THAT SO COOL
Look for some kind of sign

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08 2009 - 10:30PM »
ITS SO STRANGE IT LOOKS FAKE BUT ITS REAL THAT SO COOL
I thought I showed you that picture before.  It is really a cool picture and it is real

Offline The Shadow

• Paranormal PI
  • Shaman
  • Tonight on Bachelors-Grove.com
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09 2009 - 06:53PM »
When people speak of BG that is the picture that pops into my head
Did I just see what I think I saw? Yeah you did! Now lets put it on Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline dennis

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #10 on: May 19 2009 - 11:30PM »
Something else about her apperance has always bugged me a little.  She looks like she is wearing kind of a short skirt, one that stops just above the knees.  That's the kind of clothes I remember my cousins wearing back in the early to mid 60's.  The picture was taken in I think 1991 so there definitely out of date.  She looks like a young woman in her teens or 20's.  So if she is appearing the way she did when she was alive it stands to reason she is a young woman who died in the early 60's and the only burial at BG at that time was Laura McGhee a lady I think in her 80's.  So I would think she is not buried there and if that's true then who is she and why did she choose BG as her (for lack of a better term) haunt?

I do not doubt the authenticity of the picture; but she seems out of place with the others who seem to usually appear in 1800's clothing. It adds to the mystery of who this poor soul is.

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
« Reply #11 on: May 21 2009 - 10:21AM »
Dennis,
I am not sure as the picture is not crisp but I think that I see her dress wrapped around her legs and going down to her ankles.  It is so hard to tell though.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could have pictures of all the people buried there so we could compare them to the pictures of the spirits captured on film there.  As for why would someone haunt where they were not buried...I am not sure....maybe a family member is there of they had some attachment to that area in life.  I wish we had more answers to the afterlife.  BTW....thanks for the post.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 25 2009 - 09:07AM »
From what I have heard tell from the very few Mediums / Clairvoyants that I have come to respect......someone who has passed does not have to present themselves as they are when they die. Case in point:  A mother and father who had passed away in their late 90's decided to show up at their daughters wedding anniversary celebration. Their presence there was captured on film. But instead of being the crippled 90 something couple they were when they passed they were a vibrant 40 something couple that their daughter remembered so well from earlier years.  And she had the pictures to compare to the couple to prove it!!

Since we don't have the physical boundaries in the spirit world that we have to deal with here the possibilities are endless I would think. Of course as JeepGirl put it having more answers would be nice and until then I am only going on what a few others tell me. But I'm working on making that connection myself...lol  However, it does seem that even those with a healthy connection with the spirit realm say that they don't always understand the whys, what fors and how it works.

Thanks for the information on Laura McGhee Dennis. That's new info for me. One more thing for me to add to the knowledge of the Grove.   
~Colleen~

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 25 2009 - 09:37AM »
PS...... I went back and looked at the picture again for a good minute or 2 and it appears to me that the dress is not a mini-dress like the ones in the 60"s. I wore those mini-dress'.....LOL  When you sit down with one of those skirts / dress' on you do good to get coverage just below the crease in the hip joint were you bend to sit down.... cho  It does appear that the skirt part is wrapped around the right leg at the knee and pulled over to that side. For the skirt to come to the point that it does on the left leg it would have to be a skirt / dress that would fall past the knee when standing up.
« Last Edit: Jun 08 2009 - 06:48PM by Colleen2510 »
~Colleen~

Offline dennis

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #14 on: May 26 2009 - 10:24PM »
Ah ha!  I see what both of you are referring to and it looks like you are right!  Makes me wonder if she is from the 20's (and somehow connected with that ghost car seen on the turnpike).
Thanks so much for the input.