Author Topic: Giant ice flows bolster case for volcanoes on Titan  (Read 1401 times)

Offline SedateYourHate

• Super Creep!
  • Mere Mortal
  • To be great is to be misunderstood.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20127014.400-giant-ice-flows-bolster-case-for-volcanoes-on-titan.html

SLUSHY water from a hidden ocean may be pooling onto the icy surface of Saturn's moon Titan.

Titan's exterior, where the temperature is around -180 °C, is thought to be mostly water-ice, but it may be a different story deep down. Variations in the moon's rate of rotation suggest an ocean could lurk belowMovie Camera.

An area of Titan called Hotei Arcus appears to fluctuate in brightness on timescales of several months, and in 2005 Robert Nelson of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, and colleagues, suggested this might be the result of "cryovolcanic" eruptions of water from below. Others argued that the flickers were caused by the moon's hazy atmosphere.

The cryovolcanism idea was bolstered in 2008, when observations of Hotei Arcus by a radar instrument aboard NASA's Cassini probe revealed structures that resembled lava flows. Some opponents of the idea still argued these might be deposits of sediment, carried by a flow of methane in the past.

Now radar images from Cassini have allowed scientists led by Randolph Kirk of the US Geological Survey in Flagstaff, Arizona, to create a 3D view of the area, which he presented at the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference on 24 March. It turns out that the sinuous structures tower 200 metres above their surroundings. They say that this is consistent with the structures having formed when slushy water and ammonia squirted onto the surface and froze - but that they could not have been produced by a flood of liquid methane depositing sediment.

The structures may have formed when slushy water and ammonia squirted onto the surface and froze

If slush volcanoes have been erupting recently, Titan would join a select group of solar system objects - Earth and Io - known to be volcanic at present.

The idea of any life surviving in the erupted water is "pretty much out of the question", Kirk says, as it would freeze. As for the ocean below: "Who knows?" he says. "It's conceivable life could be going on down there."

Jeff Moore of NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California, says it's still not obvious that the structures flowed. "We haven't seen any unambiguous evidence [of volcanism] yet."
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  -Dr. Seuss

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
Re: Giant ice flows bolster case for volcanoes on Titan
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29 2009 - 11:12PM »
 :Y:  Good find, I love this kind of stuff.... I'm just waiting for the one that says. "Alien life confirmed"  I have a hunch that it isn't really to far away either.
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline SedateYourHate

• Super Creep!
  • Mere Mortal
  • To be great is to be misunderstood.
Re: Giant ice flows bolster case for volcanoes on Titan
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30 2009 - 09:50AM »
I also love hearing about what's going on in space. And I totally believe there's alien life, so hopefully the day it is confirmed won't be too far away. :D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  -Dr. Seuss