Author Topic: Ghost of Ghettysburg... future adventure!  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
Re: Ghost of Ghettysburg... future adventure!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27 2009 - 07:58PM »
I grew up in Vicksburg. A very beautiful old town with lots of rolling green hills and bluffs and of course The Mississippi River.  I suffered culture shock when I first moved to Memphis. There is such a different feeling in the air in a town like Vicksburg. You definitely know there are ghosts there. I won't go thru it all again cause I've already told a bunch of stories about the house that I grew up in and the little civil war grave yard in the back yard and the cannon balls that we used to dig up in any area of the yard that you want to dig in. And how our house was sitting up on a hill with a gully dug out below it. But you know I don't think that I ever mentioned the hideout in the side of the hill.  Well the back of the house literally hung over the gully but as you walked along the stone path it would climb a hill that sat just above and around the top of the gully. In the side of this hill there was a flat part that just looked like it might be a washout or something natural but it was actually an opening to a hideaway made during the war.  I'm not even sure what year my house was built. I do know that the carriage house and parts of the house were there during the war but I'm fairly certain that the house had been added to since then. But this hideout in the side of the hill was just rich with civil war trophies. But they were so common place that my brother's and I didn't keep any of it. When we grew up and moved we left it all there cause it just felt like at the time that we could get some more any time we wanted to.  Now I wish I had kept some of the artifacts.
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline gre502

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29 2009 - 01:10PM »
That is very cool that you grew up in Vicksburg.  That is one place I would like to visit someday. I will probably be 80 when I do get the chance to go at the rate I am going.  LOL

The furthest south I have ever been is to some of battlefields in northern Virginia.  I liked Virginia, they served crab cakes at their McDonalds and their were many waffle houses.   LOL

Yes, thats true during the seize (sp?) at Vicksburg many of the citizens dug caves into the sides of hills to ride it out.  They had a heck of a time. No medicine, no food, etc.

You really should of kept a relic or two, but you gotta be careful about relic hunting, its sounds like this place was on private property, so it might not have been a problem, but I am pretty sure it is illegal on battlefields that are on National Park property now.  I am sure you know that though.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29 2009 - 06:59PM »
Yeah these relics were in my parents yard. And we actually donated a lot of them to the battlefield museum.  Somewere on here is a post telling about the civil war family graveyard that was in our backyard and the little headstones with childrens pictures and stories about the children on them.
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com