Author Topic: The Lamia  (Read 1516 times)

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
  • I love Ghost Hunters :)
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
The Lamia
« on: Sep 27 2009 - 11:33PM »
The Lamia

The ancient Greeks believed that the Lamia was a vampire who stole little children to drink their blood. She was portrayed as a snake-like creature with a female head and breasts. Usually female, but sometimes referred to as a male or a hermaphrodite.

According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

In Lamia and other Poems (1820), the English poet John Keats writes about Lamia too. In this version, based on the information he found in Anatomy of Melancholy of the 1600s, Lamia has the ability to change herself into a beautiful young woman. Here she assumes a human form to win a man's love.

Another version of this myth states that Hera killed Lamia's children and that it was her grief that turned her into a monster.

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
Re: The Lamia
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28 2009 - 09:37AM »
Well that's cool.... Just go's to show you snakes are evil, the darn things always scare me and make me jump. 
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
  • I love Ghost Hunters :)
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
Re: The Lamia
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28 2009 - 04:56PM »
 :lol6: That's too funny, Ghost. I love snakes. That snake would scare me to death. :lol6: