Author Topic: Bombing the Moon  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
Bombing the Moon
« on: Oct 08 2009 - 10:36PM »
Two U.S. spacecraft are set to crash on the moon Friday. On purpose. And we're all invited to watch.

NASA's Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite is scheduled to drop its Centaur upper-stage rocket on the lunar surface at 7:31 a.m. ET.

NASA hopes the impact will kick up enough dust to help the LCROSS probe find the presence of water in the moon's soil. Four minutes later, the LCROSS will follow through the debris plume, collecting and relaying data back to Earth before crashing into the Cabeus crater near the moon's south pole.

The LCROSS is carrying spectrometers, near-infrared cameras, a visible camera and a visible radiometer. These instruments will help NASA scientists analyze the plume of dust -- more than 250 metric tons' worth -- for water vapor.

Click to read more

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/10/08/probe.moon.crash/index.html

« Last Edit: Oct 08 2009 - 10:43PM by Ghost1 »
Loading Signature...

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
Re: Bombing the Moon
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08 2009 - 10:44PM »
Hummm, I wonder is the moon is really  ours to bomb?  What if there's life there that we don't know about.....Just a thought
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Aten

• Empath
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09 2009 - 02:38PM »
You make a good point there Ghost. We really don`t know if there is life there or not.  :Y:

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17 2009 - 10:49AM »
There is a cool book called "Above Top Secret" by Jim Marrs that has a chapter called "Who Parked the Moon."
One of the aspects of the moon that is talked about is the near perfect circular and stationary orbit of the moon, which is impossible as a natural ocurence.  Makes me wonder...
T H E  T R U T H  I S  O U T  T H E R E

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17 2009 - 10:57AM »
The moon is part of the earth... Earth was impacted when it was still mostly molten, and the debris that was ejected coalesced into the moon.

The fact that it's locked into orbit with us isn't an impossibility, because there are other moons in the solar system that do the same thing.

I hate goof-balls who use "impossible" as a buzz word to get people's attention. 
Loading Signature...

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17 2009 - 11:09AM »
Just stating what the book says...lol

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17 2009 - 11:11AM »
I know... I wasn't calling you a goof... but the David Icke wannabe who spouts his own personal rhetoric needs to be shot with those less lethal beanbag bullet things until he promises to never publish again.

Then the world with gain +1 happy.
Loading Signature...

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17 2009 - 11:16AM »
I agree .... =D>
I wonder about things though....

Offline bodhisattva

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18 2009 - 05:23AM »
I read a pretty interesting paper in college that I really liked.  It said that Mars and the Moon probably did not have life on them, but that does not mean they do not now.  Because when we visited them we brought life to them.  When we send ships, rovers, rockets, whatever have you onto these planets they are carrying on them life forms.  They are totally contaminated with bacteria and other organisms all over them.  The rovers were going over Mars; imagine a few single cell organisms falling off onto the planet.  Might not sound like much but it is the beginning of life from earth being introduced to a planet that has possibly never seen life.  Yes, there is life on Mars, we put it there.  :055confused:

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18 2009 - 12:45PM »
Unfortunately conditions in space and on the Moon & Mars are not very productive to life...

It's a few months to Mars, in the vacuum of space, with micro-organisms onboard... Most of those organisms would have died due to the extreme cold encountered in space, and if any survived long enough to reach the planet, they would have incinerated in the atmosphere during the landing procedure.

Plus, with no water, there's nothing to sustain the organisms... So there might be corpses of organisms there, but I would put my dollar against anyone else's that there's nothing alive.
Loading Signature...