Author Topic: My Voice Recorder  (Read 1338 times)

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
  • I love Ghost Hunters :)
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
My Voice Recorder
« on: Oct 14 2009 - 09:25PM »
My sister just gave me a Sony Voice Recorder. It has a Electret Condenser Microphone. And it has Clear Voice. Is this good for EVP's? And how do I get the EVP's or whatever to my computer. Is there a program I need or something else.

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
Re: My Voice Recorder
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14 2009 - 10:14PM »
Model number? I just picked up an ICD-PX720
Loading Signature...

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14 2009 - 11:17PM »
I don't know the Model Number. It says V.O.R Microcassette-Corder M-540V.

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15 2009 - 12:21AM »
Reviews that I'm reading say it's not too bad... However I tend to shy away from the micro-cassette recorders simply because of the amount of maintenance involved... As anyone who's older than 20 and has used cassette recorders, if the batteries even start to get low, the spindles on the tape begin to slow down, affecting the recording or playback of the tape.

Also, the read/write head gets dirty over time, and needs to be cleaned. If not done right, it also has a detrimental effect on the device.

Plus there's the need to change tapes, keeping track of them, tossing bad tapes when it's time... It is a bit more laborious than a digital recorder, but if you scored it for free than that's always a plus!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for transfering the audio to the computer... I've never done this personally, but theoretically it should work... First, you need to obtain a Male to Male 3.5mm audio cable. 3.5mm is the same size as the speaker/headphone jack on pretty much everything. Looks like this:

Then, you'll need to plug one end of the cable into the headphone port on the recorder, and the other end into the microphone port on your computer. It's usually a pink port on the computer, so if it's newer it'll be easier to find. If it's an older computer, or the ports aren't color-coded, look for something similar to what the pink square looks like:

Once you're connected, you'll need to obtain an audio recording software. Windows comes with the most basic of basic ones, in Sound Recorder. If you have a Windows XP system, you can find it by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound Recorder. Also, you can use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) which is free, and a little more full-featured. I personally use Audacity. Or, there's a million others out there, each person has their own preference.

Now that you have the cable plugged into your recorder and your computer, and you have your software fired up and ready to go, you'll need to start recording on the software, then immediately begin playback on your device. In theory this will allow the computer to receive the audio from the device and record it, without having to hook up a microphone to the computer and hold it over the speaker of the device.

Again, I've never done that personally, but I've done similar pass-thru type things so it should work.

There will be no quick way to do the transfer... If you've recorded 5 minutes of audio, it'll take 5 minutes to transfer. If you've taken 7 hours of audio, it'll take 7 hours to transfer.

Let me know if you have any other questions!!
Loading Signature...

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15 2009 - 08:38PM »
OMG!!! Thank you, Exzyle2k for the help bo :smiley31:. Can I buy that cord at Walmart? Or do I have to go somewhere else to get it. I can't wait to try this out.

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15 2009 - 10:01PM »
Walmart, BestBuy, or other electronics stores should carry them.

Try not to get anything longer than what you'll need... I would say anything over 6' is unnecessary, and could be detrimental to the quality of the recording.

From what I'm seeing, Walmart doesn't carry them in-store (according to their website, but you might be able to find it under iPod accessories, in which case you'll be charged out the backside for them). TigerDirect.com has them online, starting at $5. Odds are you'll pay more in shipping than for the actual cable.

This would probably be your best bet, off Amazon if you want a 6 foot long cord... It should be about $3 total with shipping and tax... http://amzn.com/B000GZ6ZQM or if you want to go longer, there's a 12-footer for about $4 with S&H and tax: http://amzn.com/B000GZ6ZQW

I'm not sure how far your computer is from your working station... 6' would suit my needs, but you might need longer.

Also, if you use a headset for gaming or Skype or something similar, and don't want to constantly be swapping cords in and out, get yourself a Y-adapter... http://amzn.com/B000AY5M9U Again, probably in the neighborhood of $4 to $5... So for less than $10 you can have the stuff you need.
Loading Signature...

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16 2009 - 05:42PM »
Thank you. I'll try that. bo