Author Topic: Paranormal Activity Movie  (Read 1571 times)

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
Paranormal Activity Movie
« on: Oct 11 2009 - 10:11PM »
Anyone watch the new movie "Paranormal Activity?"
It was definately spooky but I am unsure if the movie was totally staged or not.   Qu  
T H E  T R U T H  I S  O U T  T H E R E

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
Re: Paranormal Activity Movie
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11 2009 - 10:19PM »
Well, it's a movie from Paramount, which means it's a staged production.

It appears to be done in the same style as Blair Witch... The wonderful world of mockumentary.

The only theatre in the area that's playing it is the Loews in Crestwood.

If anyone's interested in going, let me know and I'll go too... Doesn't look too shabby, it'd be interesting to see if the did it right.
Loading Signature...

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11 2009 - 10:24PM »
I was under the impression that it was an independent film picked up by Paramount.
It is a pretty decent movie though.
I had to run out to Warrenville to see it the other night.

Offline fredfilms

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12 2009 - 01:04AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/oct/11/paranormal-activity-blair-witch-project

It was an indy made for 11,000 dollars and when Steven Speilberg screened it at home he freaked and sent it back.  Crazy they spooked him it must be worth a viewing on that merit alone. che

Offline bodhisattva

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14 2009 - 04:34AM »
It came to my hometown and I went out to see it today.  I bought into all the hype that I was seeing on tv and was very excited about going to it.  Sorry to say, I was let down big time.  The movie is extremely over hyped.  I would not recommend that anyone pay full price to see it.  If you can see it for free it might be worth it, or if  you have a $1.00 theater around you it might be worth it in a month.  You  have been warned.    eno

Offline AfterForever

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14 2009 - 04:25PM »
I know a lot of people thought that the Blair Witch Project was complete and utter crapola.Some parts scared the toots out of me....my happy ass has no desire to ever go camping....EVER.I have no business sleeping outside any damn way.

But Yes I will watch this when it comes out on video.I'll be there with bells on.....oh and the lights on in all rooms in my home. :Y:
My Mama wore cotton bloomers

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
  • I love Ghost Hunters :)
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14 2009 - 09:20PM »
I checked and it wasn't playing. Is it worth going to see IF it does come this way.

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16 2009 - 11:16AM »
I think it is worth a look.
 (I thought that the "Blair Witch Project" was total nonsense.)

Offline AfterForever

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16 2009 - 04:24PM »
I think it is worth a look.
 (I thought that the "Blair Witch Project" was total nonsense.)

If you were lost in the woods and you heard children giggling in the middle of the night,and your tent was moving you wouldn't be scared?I'd shit my pants and pass out. ter
My Mama wore cotton bloomers

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17 2009 - 01:16AM »
To tell the truth, the last and only time I saw "Blair Witch" was when it was released in the theaters.
I just remember the people running around lost in the woods and freaking out from normal noises...sorry. didn't scare me.  But you mentioned childrens laughter and the tent moving..yes that would freak me out a wee little bit too.. :victory:

Offline MarkMc1990

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18 2009 - 02:16AM »
I saw paranormal activity in Crestwood last weekend. It was pretty good, but dont go in with your expectations too high.

I actually really like Blair Witch Project. It wasn't like edge of your seat scary but it was definitely spooky. I recommend anyone who plans to watch Blair Witch Project watch the "Curse of the Blair Witch" documentary first. It gives you background information on the legend and sets the stage for some events in the movie. :victory:
-Mark

Offline Exodus

• Mere Mortal
    • Illinois Storm Chasers
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24 2009 - 01:20PM »
First and foremost, this movie is in not even the same league as Blair Witch.  In Blair Witch you didn't see anything scary.  Just "what they were hearing" in which case half the movie the viewer didn't hear anything.  The camera work made you feel like you were going to have a seizure, and the movie concludes completely ridiculous because you don't even know what they are after, what happened, etc.

In Paranormal, you actually hear sounds, noises, groans, etc.  In two scenes you see reflections of the demon's shadow on the door/floor.  You see creepy footprints appear, an the demon even does things to the people that show things are physically happening to them (I won't go into detail and spoil it for those who want to see it).  Point being, you actually KNOW something is there in this movie.  The camera work from the most part is shot from a tripod, so you don't get a headache watching this, and even when he is "investigating", the camera work still is manageable.  For a movie that only cost 15K to make, they've made about 30-million on it so far.  It is a theater movie I believe.  It won't have the same effect at home, unless you have a big screen and surround sound, lol.

It creeped me out, and I don't get creeped out by movies at all, lol.  The theater was literally screaming at parts, just like they showed in the previews.  It was a good watch.  Starts out slow, but gets rolling pretty quick.  You have to get into it to get the full effect.  You can't just go and be like "this is going to be gay" and expect to be scared.  Get into it and enjoy it.

Yes it was an indy film.  It was actually made 3 years ago, and Paramount sponsored it to go mainstream.  It was on limited release, but based on how much those releases were selling out, they put it out to most theaters now.  We went last week on Friday to see Stepfather, and the lines for Paranormal were outrageous.  The 8:15 was sold out, and there was a girl by us trying to get tickets for 9:15 and the guy was telling them that it was at 95% and was going to sell out within 10-minutes.  When we were leaving Stepfather, the 10:20 was sold out as well.  I already have pre-bought tickets for the next day to see Paranormal.  When we got there, my showing was sold out, and the line was around the theater (Crestwood).  When we got out of the movie, the next showing, was from the hallway leading to the theaters, outside the building, and starting to loop around the building.  I've never seen a movie with this kind of turn out.  It was bigger lines then where were when Rocky 6 came out.