Author Topic: Children's 'ghosts' haunt Picton cemetery  (Read 2876 times)

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
  • I love Ghost Hunters :)
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
Children's 'ghosts' haunt Picton cemetery
« on: Jan 21 2010 - 06:31PM »

Children's 'ghosts' haunt Picton cemetery

There were no children in the cemetery when this photo was taken.

The Courier-Mail, January 21, 2010

PICTON, New South Wales, Australia – Does this photograph show the figures of two children, born nearly a century apart, walking in their own paranormal playground?
     The family who took this picture while on a ghost tour in Picton, NSW, swear there were no children inside the St Mark's Cemetery.
     Which begs the question: who, or what, is out there?
     Local legend has it that the two children are David Shaw and Blanche Moon, who died 60 years apart.
     Blanche was crushed to death in 1886 when a pile of sleepers that she and a number of children were playing on slipped.
     David was the son of a minister who died in 1946 from polio.
     The woman behind the lens of this mysterious photo, Renee English, said she was "a sceptic" before undertaking the ghost tour on January 9.
     "When we were standing at the bank looking into the Cemetery I was just snapping away and making jokes about the whole thing and asking when the ghosts were going to come out," the Port Macquarie resident said.
     "I know that when I took that photo there was no-one else in the cemetery. The only people we saw were a family of four about 10 minutes later but those kids were clinging to their parents the whole time.
     "When we uploaded our photos and saw the children all the hairs on my arm stood up and I just went cold all over.
     "That night I couldn't sleep at all and I'm never watching a scary movie again.
     "I wasn't a believer in ghosts, but now I'm intrigued."
     Local historian Liz Vincent conducted ghost tours in Picton, claimed to be Australia's most haunted town, until her death last year. Since then, her husband John and daughter Jenny Davies have taken up the mantle.
     "Picton's just so haunted," Ms Davies said. "We find people always love to see their photos afterwards because most of these things aren't visible to the naked eye."
     One of the tour's most popular figures is Emily, a lady who was hit and killed by a train in 1916 while taking a shortcut through the Redbank Range Tunnel, also known as the Mushroom Tunnel, to visit her brother.
     Emily Bollard resided near the railway line and was a single woman aged in her 50s. Before taking her shortcut, she didn't check the timetable and was hit in the tunnel by a train coming from Thirlmere. She died instantly.
     "She likes to move among the participants and loves to touch their hair and body, particularly their arms and legs," Ms Davies said.
     "Those on the tour often say that they've also felt a cold wind blowing through the tunnel."

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
Re: Children's 'ghosts' haunt Picton cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21 2010 - 07:43PM »
Wow! Those 2 kids are plane as day! It would be interesting to know what clothes they were buried in.  I love this photo and the story that goes with it. It feels true to me for some reason.
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21 2010 - 09:09PM »
Wow,  this is an amazing photograph! Those two children look like they are still solid and alive, which I hope is the case and not two children running around that the photographer forgot about.
T H E  T R U T H  I S  O U T  T H E R E

Offline jfloydian

• Supreme Allied Commander
  • Apparition
  • You are forsaken.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22 2010 - 07:58AM »
Yes they seem very real...makes you wonder.
You are forsaken.

Offline Witchiepoo

• Resident Witch
  • Empath
  • There IS a method to my madness...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23 2010 - 11:50AM »
:Y:  Very cool pic!! They do look like they are real kids and not ghostly images.  I can tell you, that in Australia, kids wear school uniforms. It could explain why they both have white shirts on.  It's a shame we can't see if the one on the right has shorts on also...

"I am warm
 I am fire
 Give me all the warmth...
 That I desire."

I believe! ~ I've seen! ~ I've played! ~ More please!!

Offline GratedTopping

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05 2010 - 05:29PM »
You can't see through them at all and the one on the right looks like its front side is not even finished; it just straight and vertical.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21 2010 - 06:18PM »
Flying over the prudery of dressing up ghosts, T-shirts in 1886 or in 1946? If you encounter the spirit of Bonnie Prince Charlie, may you want to see His Hightness dressed as the aristocrats of His time dressed, not as a young rapper on the rise does today?
I tend to disagree with you because the shirts don't look anything like T-shirts to me.  I suppose I could be wrong but to me they look like they are wearing school uniforms which have been very popular in any era in history and haven't changed a whole heck of a lot over the decades. A white cotton button down and black pants/shorts or skirts. 
~Colleen~

Offline bodhisattva

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21 2010 - 08:20PM »
I very much dislike pics founded online, not snapped by members here, that are claimed to be ghosts.  The problem with it is who knows what is really going on.  Anyone can snap a pic, look at it, and think "wow, this would make a good ghost photo".  The person then just has to come up with some story to match the pic.  Like this one here anything could be going on.  The two kids look like they are walking beyond the edge of all of the headstones.  For all we know there could be a school right next door and they are taking a shortcut home.  Maybe it's even two kids of the person snapping the pic and they made up a bogus story to make it more interesting.  Another scenario that I think happens a lot is that the person who snapped the pic isn't trying to be misleading but someone else found their pic and decided to make it into something it's not with a catchy story.  Maybe I am just being too much of a downer and pissing on everyones Wheaties but I really think this pic, and lots of others randomly found online, have a logical explanation with a bogus story made up to them.   :97:

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22 2010 - 07:55PM »
I very much dislike pics founded online, not snapped by members here, that are claimed to be ghosts.  The problem with it is who knows what is really going on.  Anyone can snap a pic, look at it, and think "wow, this would make a good ghost photo".  The person then just has to come up with some story to match the pic.  Like this one here anything could be going on.  The two kids look like they are walking beyond the edge of all of the headstones.  For all we know there could be a school right next door and they are taking a shortcut home.  Maybe it's even two kids of the person snapping the pic and they made up a bogus story to make it more interesting.  Another scenario that I think happens a lot is that the person who snapped the pic isn't trying to be misleading but someone else found their pic and decided to make it into something it's not with a catchy story.  Maybe I am just being too much of a downer and pissing on everyones Wheaties but I really think this pic, and lots of others randomly found online, have a logical explanation with a bogus story made up to them.   :97:
I absolutely agree with you. But that is why we include were we find them. I find other pples ghost stories interesting. Even if they can't be proven.  Of course I love our own personal stories much better but there aren't that many of them understandably.  I post other stories and pics on here because I used to spend a lot of time looking around the Internet for paranormal stories and it takes forever and you have to weed thru the total balogna just to get to a story or pic that half arse interests you. SO when I find one I like I post it here with all the info that I can find. Then my friends can catch it without having to look any place else. They can post their opinions about it and if they want to they can research it to see if they find anything more on the subject.  And once in a blue moon someone that I know says: "hey I know that person and I was there the day that photo was taken and I can vouch for what that poster is saying."  Now that's never happened yet but it could.  Anyway it's all about having access to the interesting stuff and being able to chat about it. My friends here at Bachelors-Grove.com have had some wonderfully interesting experiences too though! 
~Colleen~