Author Topic: What is that tiny cemetery on Rand Road?  (Read 6270 times)

Offline nothingtoseehere

• Mere Mortal
What is that tiny cemetery on Rand Road?
« on: Apr 22 2010 - 05:02PM »
This has been bugging me forever, and I lost my Cemeteries of Chicago book by Ursula.  There is a cemetery with maybe 20 markers right on Rand Road in Des Plaines jsut south (or maybe just north, I forget) of the tracks, definitely north of River Road.  There is no fence, no gate, no sign, nowhere to park, and no upkeep other than the city mowing the lawn.  What the heck is that place?  Can anyone shed some light, here? 

Offline MarkMc1990

• Mere Mortal
Re: What is that tiny cemetery on Rand Road?
« Reply #1 on: May 10 2010 - 06:22PM »
I have no idea (sorry) but it definitely sounds interesting. Have you been in it? Is it old? You should check out some of the dates on the markers.
-Mark

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10 2010 - 06:39PM »
I think I found the one you're talking about, but there's no name I've found yet... Although I haven't looked that hard since I'm sneaking this in before class... http://tinyurl.com/26ynre7
Loading Signature...

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17 2010 - 12:00AM »
Only name I found for that area was Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, although the listing of 1100 S Rand Road puts it at Rand & Golf Road, which is a little NW of where the stones on a map show.

http://www.interment.net/data/us/il/cook/imman_luth/index.htm

Loading Signature...

Offline The Shadow

• Paranormal PI
  • Shaman
  • Tonight on Bachelors-Grove.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21 2010 - 12:37AM »
I believe that is a Lutheran cemetery
« Last Edit: May 21 2010 - 12:40AM by The Shadow »
Did I just see what I think I saw? Yeah you did! Now lets put it on Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline nothingtoseehere

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03 2011 - 01:47AM »
I'm a very spotty traveller of this board, but I just drove by this place again yesterday, and I was reminded of just how obscrue it is an just how badly I want to know what the heck this place's deal is!  What is its history, who is burried there?!  I know I could just go and look at the markers, but it's just not something that I'm able to carve out time to do.  It just purely fascinates me that this tiny little area of maybe half an acre (which is pushing it) just sits there with graves and no clue whatsoever as to a name or origin.  It's been almost a year since the last post here, and I appreciate the info that it's a Lutheran cemetery.  Anyone else have any info?  I poke around online and Google it every now and then to see if anything new has materialized. Maybe I"ll send a cold-call-email to Ursula.  I'm that bugged!

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07 2011 - 11:18PM »
This is what I could find:
Immanuel Lutheran congregation grew out of the “German Evangelical   Lutheran St.    Stephens Congregation at Des Plaines, Cook County,   Illinois,” established in October, 1868.  St. Stephens congregation had   acquired two building lots at the corner of Lee and Thacker Streets on   which they established a church, school, parsonage, and cemetery.  The   cemetery was moved to Rand Road in 1875 when Center Street was extended   from Prairie to Thacker.

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07 2011 - 11:37PM »
I've never been there before, if any one go's by it again take a picture or two from the street looking towards it.  Also if you have a GPS on your phone that's even better yet.

We need someone to gives us some good direction, like off of what major streets........
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07 2011 - 11:45PM »
I have a friend tell me about a little cemetery up my way that he has been to several times.  He states that he gets great EVPs every time he goes there.  Next time I talk to him I will get the name.  I really want to go.

Offline nothingtoseehere

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10 2011 - 12:57AM »
I've never been there before, if any one go's by it again take a picture or two from the street looking towards it.  Also if you have a GPS on your phone that's even better yet.

We need someone to gives us some good direction, like off of what major streets........

Visiting this thread again.  I should get here more often, but it's hard, I'm so sorry.  For the exact location of this one, the maps that have been posted down-thread are exactly right, that's the one.  Next time I pass it (I do so often), I'll take a picture. I can't stop and go in cuz literally there's nowhere to stop your car, I have to hope for slow traffic and/or a train so that I can be stopped to take the photo.  But I"ll try.

Offline Graveyard Hound

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07 2011 - 11:06AM »
Glad somebody found something, I was going through all of my 50+ books on haunted graveyards and could't find squat.
"Pretty much all the drugs I prescribe and either addictive and/or dangerous" HOUSE
"Could pain medication cause an orgasm? HOUSE
"I'm the lucky one because he didn't die? What about him?" HOUSE