Author Topic: Friday The 13th  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
Friday The 13th
« on: Jun 13 2008 - 08:27AM »
[fly]Happy Friday The 13th! [/fly]

Today is Friday The 13th, whats everything about this day.........Do you believe it's really bad luck, and bad things will happen all day?  cho  I personally don't think anything about it at all, It's just a normal Friday that happens to be on the 13th of the month..

If you've had some sort of bad Friday the 13th experience, please tell us about it.

Friday the 13th is considered a day of bad luck in English-, French- and Portuguese-speaking countries around the world, as well as in Austria, Germany, Estonia, Finland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Republic of Ireland, Poland, Bulgaria, Denmark, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, and the Philippines.

Similar superstitions exist in some other traditions. In Greece, Romania and Spanish-speaking countries, for example, it is Tuesday the 13th that is considered unlucky. In Italy, it is Friday the 17th.

The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia, a word derived from the concatenation of the Greek words Paraskeví (Παρασκευή) (meaning Friday), and dekatreís (δεκατρείς) (meaning thirteen), attached to phobía (φοβία) (meaning fear). The term is a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a simple phobia (fear) of the number thirteen appearing in any case.
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
Re: Friday The 13th
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13 2008 - 05:07PM »
It's weird but in my experience 13 is my lucky number! So far today has been a normal day!

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15 2008 - 07:24PM »
My brother had the luckiest day he's had all year on Friday the 13th. Among other things he found a 20 dollar bill on the ground by the cola machine at our office. Then some other cool things happened to him! I told him to be sure to buy his lotto tickets that afternoon.....LOL
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline veganrichy

• Ghost Hunter
  • It's funny!
    • my myspace page
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05 2008 - 10:10AM »
Funny; I used the # 13 as my baseball and soccer number. Hasn't brought me bad luck at all--because I kicked some major--well you can get the idea. So the history and origin of the number, hasn't effected my playing level. Most superstitions are a bit extreme as it is.
Hey there one in a million

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06 2008 - 03:11PM »
I had always figured it had something to do with numerology. I have lost all faith in numerology though.  The number 8 is supposed to represent wealth and prosperity and if you carry a number 8 in your pocket, wallet, purse or whatever you usually carry your money in it is supposed to cause your money to grow. Not magically of course but just that you are supposed to prosper and be able watch your wallet get fat. It hasn't worked for me in the past 5 years so I'm wondering how ppl keep their faith in numerology....cause I certainly tried it!
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06 2008 - 03:51PM »
I agree Colleen. I've read soooo many books on numerology and it all seems very subjective. I've never been impressed.

Offline BobbyBuka

• * Banned *
  • Mere Mortal
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07 2008 - 03:25PM »
just to be the total "know-it-all" type.....

Friday the 13th....some year in the early 1300's...was when the King of France convinced the Pope at the time to turn on the Knight's Templar and have them arrested, burned at the stake, etc....

Actually, I think a Friday the 13th is the day when all of the Knight's Templar leaders were executed.  But anyway, the tradition of Friday the 13th being unlucky originates with the Knight's Templar (remember them from "The DaVinci Code" - they were a cool secret society!)

Offline Spirit Chaser

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16 2008 - 10:18PM »
I think Friday the 13th is just a normal day, I personally have never had anything bad happen on this day at all.
I do have a friend that is totally freaked out about Friday the 13th....she doesn't even like to go out on this day.

Also since I'm writing this now, Friday the 13th has passed and we are all still alive
:Y:

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13 2010 - 06:37PM »
Here is a good older topic that should be bumped up today.   
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14 2010 - 06:32AM »
Ghost, you're under arrest for Thread Necromancy... They don't look too kindly on the resurrection of peacefully slumbering threads.
Loading Signature...

Offline Steve Abrams

• UFO Hunter
    • Ghostly Times
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14 2010 - 10:05AM »
Which calender are you talking about? Depending on the time of earths evolution, and resetting of the calender by different people during the centuries, Friday the 13th could actually be Monday the 8th. Hmmm.. Gotta look into this. A  conspiracy throughout the ages to screw us up today. Time Travel? I better shut up before I'm blinked out of existan.... (poof)
There is no such thing as ghosts. They are flying saucer aliens, using their cloak of invisibility to screw with our minds.

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #11 on: May 13 2011 - 10:43AM »
Being it's Friday the 13th again... Time to bounce this one back up.

Offline agnostimed13

• Mere Mortal
  • Bachelors Grove's Chief of Medicine
« Reply #12 on: May 14 2011 - 01:12PM »
Ghost, you're under arrest for Thread Necromancy... They don't look too kindly on the resurrection of peacefully slumbering threads.

lol

That's exactly what I was thinking

Offline Steve Abrams

• UFO Hunter
    • Ghostly Times
« Reply #13 on: May 17 2011 - 06:22PM »
Oh WOW! Deja Vu!
There is no such thing as ghosts. They are flying saucer aliens, using their cloak of invisibility to screw with our minds.

Offline Graveyard Hound

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #14 on: Sep 07 2011 - 11:54AM »
 bo It was quite unlucky for the Knight Templars in France on October 13, 1307 A.D. with the arrest of the Grand Master, De Molay in Paris. The king of France was short on money, the Templars had it, so he decided to simply destroy the Order, with the help of an eaisly directed pope. :97: Short story, the Order was destroyed in France, while thoseTemplars who escaped, were welcomed into the various armies of near-by countries, mainly, England and Scotland.(refer to Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland for some interesting info. as well as the book "Holy Blood,Holy Grail").
"Pretty much all the drugs I prescribe and either addictive and/or dangerous" HOUSE
"Could pain medication cause an orgasm? HOUSE
"I'm the lucky one because he didn't die? What about him?" HOUSE