Author Topic: Other old cemeteries in the Tinley/Orland area?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline MarkMc1990

• Mere Mortal
Other old cemeteries in the Tinley/Orland area?
« on: Dec 26 2011 - 09:18PM »
Here's some I have always been curious to check out:
-German Methodist Cemetery – 171st  & 84th Tinley Park. I could pretty much walk to this one. I'm not sure how old it is, but I swear I recall seeing a sign that said it was established in the 1850's.
-Old German Methodist Cemetery – Harlem & Wheeler Dr. This one intrigues me as I can hardly find any pictures of it, and the name implies it is even older than the one above. I tried looking at it on Google maps but the cemetery must be very small. Has anyone been to it?
-Christ Lutheran Cemetery – 151st and 82nd  Orland Park -- Established 1906? Used to pass this on the way to Moraine Valley when I was taking a class over the summer
-Trinity Lutheran Cemetery – 159th & Oak Park  Ave Tinley Park -- This one looks pretty creepy as well and I bet it's got some old graves.
-St. Michael Catholic Cemetery – 159th next to  Sandbox preschool

Can anyone name any others that are worth checking out?
« Last Edit: Dec 26 2011 - 09:30PM by MarkMc1990 »
-Mark

Offline ixex

• Ghost Hunter
Re: Other old cemeteries in the Tinley/Orland area?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27 2011 - 06:48PM »

St. James at Sag Bridge Church and Cemetery
DARMAR

Offline MarkMc1990

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27 2011 - 07:35PM »
I was there a couple years ago on a beautiful Spring morning...beautiful place. We didn't go in the Church though because we didn't know if it was open, nor did we want to interrupt mass.
-Mark

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29 2011 - 12:35PM »
I know of all of those and have driving by them all 1000's of times...however I've never stopped at any of them ever.

There all old church cemeteries, and some look quite old.  I think I'll add them all to my "to do" list, after all I was born and raised in Orland, there part of my hometown history.
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline MarkMc1990

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30 2011 - 03:43AM »
Ghost, I love how in touch you are with your desire to learn about your hometown's history. I'm much the same way. Please, if you go, take lots of pics and try to find the oldest grave in each!

By the way, I can't help but feel like I'm forgetting one that I pass by quite often, and it's driving me nuts. I feel like there is one on the way to Orland Square Mall (perhaps on 94th? cho ). I wanna say it's smaller and has a green wrought iron fence, but maybe I'm just thinking of one of the ones I already listed.
« Last Edit: Dec 30 2011 - 03:56AM by MarkMc1990 »
-Mark

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30 2011 - 09:07AM »
I'm trying to remember any by the mall off 94Th, off hand I can't think of of one.....Where was it, right by the mall or South more towards Orland Hills (Or West Haven, if you where born in Orland like me)

Here's one that wasn't on your list, it's a old one I used to play in as a kid..... It's at 153rd & West Av.   Or as when I was a kid, it was West Av at dead mans curve.  The intersection of West Av & 153rd wasn't there and West Av just made a very sharp curve to the west which was called dead mans curve.

As a kid at about 12 - 13 I used to go there with a Friend and we used to ghost hunt.  One time we had steam or mist come out of the vent on the tiny (Only) mausoleum there.... I still remember to this day it scared the crap out of us. 

We where standing there chanting something I had made up:

Evil spirits far and near
Get your ass's over here

In retro, I guess I shouldn't have said "Evil Spirits"   ..... but then again, what can I say!  :)

By the way, I can't help but feel like I'm forgetting one that I pass by quite often, and it's driving me nuts. I feel like there is one on the way to Orland Square Mall (perhaps on 94Th? cho ).
« Last Edit: Dec 30 2011 - 09:10AM by Ghost1 »
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline MarkMc1990

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31 2011 - 04:09AM »
I don't think it was on 94th after all. I honestly have no idea, I'm probably thinking of one I already listed, but if I ever happen to pass by this supposed cemetery again I'll be sure to report on the location. If it does exist, maybe it wasn't even en route to the mall at all, but somewhere else. And I know of the one you mentioned, it's right across the street from my dentist. But that is not the one I was thinking of either.

I lived in Orland Hills when I was born (I wasn't physically born in OH though, that honor goes to Palos Heights). We moved to Tinley Park 6 months later, but my family lived in OH for years before I was born and my mom mentioned not long ago that it used to be called West Haven. I thought that was interesting. She also told me a story about a house a couple blocks away from our old house in OH that was haunted and had to be demolished because flames would shoot out of the electrical sockets. I'm sure you're familiar with that one.
-Mark

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31 2011 - 08:40AM »
Yeah, I've heard of a house that did that.... But this one was in Orland, it caught on fire so many times they thought it was insurance fraud.... they finally  condemned the home and as it sat with no power flames came out of the outlets again, but this time they just let it burn to the ground.

. She also told me a story about a house a couple blocks away from our old house in OH that was haunted and had to be demolished because flames would shoot out of the electrical sockets. I'm sure you're familiar with that one.