Author Topic: I Have That Famous Checkered Tombstone in My Yard.  (Read 1388 times)

Offline superman4691

• Mere Mortal
While doing some research on my home and neighborhood, I came across the famous photo of the ghostly apparition of the woman seated on the tombstone.  My attention was immediately drawn to the "tombstone" on which she sat. 
I recognized that checkered chiseled stone as one that I have in my yard. 
Our home is in Hamilton, Illinois, which is some 260 miles from Bachelor's Grove Cemetery.  The stone has been in our yard ever since we bought the home in 1998, and was of some mystery to us until a friend of ours surmised that it might be a "Carriage Step".  (A step used to assist ladies up into a carriage). 
After seeing the Bachelor's Grove checkered stone, and comparing it to our stone, I have no doubts that they are from the same maker, or company. 
My question to the members here is, is it positive that the stone in the cemetery is an actual tombstone or a carriage step?  There is no writing chiseled into either stone, and it is very large and square with a flat beveled top. 
We are currently using our stone as a potted plant stand in our front yard.  I would hate to think that I am using a tombstone as a decorative element.
Any thoughts, ideas, or information would be helpful.

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
Re: I Have That Famous Checkered Tombstone in My Yard.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08 2013 - 09:08PM »
There is no writing, marks or indentations at all on the stone at Bachelors Grove, never quite figured it our my self.  Being that I've photographed and visited that stone myself literally thousands of times I would say yours is a dead on match too.
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline David67

• Ghost Hunter
  • To thine own self be true
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08 2013 - 09:57PM »
While doing some research on my home and neighborhood, I came across the famous photo of the ghostly apparition of the woman seated on the tombstone.  My attention was immediately drawn to the "tombstone" on which she sat. 
I recognized that checkered chiseled stone as one that I have in my yard. 
Our home is in Hamilton, Illinois, which is some 260 miles from Bachelor's Grove Cemetery.  The stone has been in our yard ever since we bought the home in 1998, and was of some mystery to us until a friend of ours surmised that it might be a "Carriage Step".  (A step used to assist ladies up into a carriage). 
After seeing the Bachelor's Grove checkered stone, and comparing it to our stone, I have no doubts that they are from the same maker, or company. 
My question to the members here is, is it positive that the stone in the cemetery is an actual tombstone or a carriage step?  There is no writing chiseled into either stone, and it is very large and square with a flat beveled top. 
We are currently using our stone as a potted plant stand in our front yard.  I would hate to think that I am using a tombstone as a decorative element.
Any thoughts, ideas, or information would be helpful.

That definitely makes me think differently about why the woman is sitting on the stone, before I thought she looked like she was in mourning but now I'm thinking she is looking impatient like she has been waiting a long time.

Offline cougarvamp

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24 2013 - 01:29PM »
Andy & I are ghost hunting partners, & we have always referred to "that woman" as Minna. She appears near Minna Hageman's grave, so we always believed it was her in the picture, sitting on the grave marker.
Your stone does look just like the grave in the cemetery. I love the way you are using & repurposing it  in a positive way!