Author Topic: Stephen Hawking Says A.I. Could Be Our Worst Mistake In History  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
Stephen Hawking Says A.I. Could Be Our 'Worst Mistake In History'

The world's most famous physicist is warning about the risks posed by machine superintelligence, saying that it could be the most significant thing to ever happen in human history — and possibly the last.

As we've discussed extensively here at io9, artificial superintelligence represents a potential existential threat to humanity, so it's good to see such a high profile scientist both understand the issue and do his part to get the word out.

Hawking, along with computer scientist Stuart Russell and physicists Max Tegmark and Frank Wilczek, says that the potential benefits could be huge, but we cannot predict what we might achieve when AI is magnified — both good and bad.

Read More here:
http://io9.com/stephen-hawking-says-a-i-could-be-our-worst-mistake-in-1570963874?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Stephen Hawking: 'Transcendence looks at the implications of artificial intelligence - but are we taking AI seriously enough?'

With the Hollywood blockbuster Transcendence playing in cinemas, with Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman showcasing clashing visions for the future of humanity, it's tempting to dismiss the notion of highly intelligent machines as mere science fiction. But this would be a mistake, and potentially our worst mistake in history.

Read More here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/stephen-hawking-transcendence-looks-at-the-implications-of-artificial-intelligence--but-are-we-taking-ai-seriously-enough-9313474.html

Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline creepedout

• Mere Mortal
He's a smart man and we should probably listen to him. He also said we should stop beeming message into space because we probably don't want aliens to know where we are. He said it could end up like the native americans with columbus and we could be enslaved and wiped out.