Author Topic: The Stanley Hotel  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
The Stanley Hotel
« on: Feb 04 2008 - 08:36AM »
The Stanley Hotel

The Stanley Hotel, located in Estes Park, Colo., has nearly a century of history. The hotel was also the inspiration for the Overlook Hotel, the setting for Stephen King's masterpiece The Shining. It has also hosted some famous names such as Stephen King, Theodore Roosevelt, and even the Emperor and Empress of Japan. But the Stanley may be hosting more than just guests. It has been the site of numerous reports of supposed hauntings.
[float=left][/float]
In addition to its regular guests, the hotel is reported to play host to a number of otherworldly visitors. The most notable is F.O. Stanley himself who is most often seen in the lobby and the Billiard Room, which was his favorite room when he was still alive. On one such occasion, he was said to have appeared during a tour group’s visit to the Billiard Room, materializing behind a member of the tour. Bartenders at the old hotel also report having seen F.O. stroll through the bar, disappearing when they try to cut him off at the kitchen.

Flora Stanley purportedly haunts the hotel as well, continuing to entertain guests with her piano playing in the Music room. Employees and guests have reported hearing music coming from the room, and when they take a peek into the room they can see the piano keys moving. However, as soon as someone walks across the thresh-hold to investigate further, the music stops and no more movement can be seen upon the keys of the piano.

Cleaning crews report having heard many strange noises coming from room 418, as well as seeing impressions on the Bed when the room has been empty. Guests often report they hear children playing in the hallway at night. One couple reportedly checked out of the hotel very early in the morning, complaining that the children in the hallway kept them up all night. However, there were no children booked in the hotel at the time.

In 2002, a guest reportedly recorded a ghostly man wearing a cowboy hat and a mustache staring out of the window of room 408. The image stood in the window for a few minutes then fades to the left of the window. Upon questioning the front desk about the odd image, the employee explained that nobody was checked into that room that evening and nobody could have stood in that window since it was above the bathroom sink and the "fading" direction would have taken the person through the wall.

In 2006, a guest attending her sister's wedding (held in the Music Room) had an unearthly and unexplained encounter. During the wedding reception, she went upstairs to the Bride and Groom's suite and -- as a joke -- wrote "REDRUM" on the bathroom mirror in lipstick. Returning downstairs, walking down the grand staircase leading to the lobby, she felt a distinct shove on her lower back, lost her footing, and fell eight steps landing face down on the wood floor below. After being helped to her feet, she looked behind her to see who did it, and no one was there. Members of a tour group in the lobby who witnessed her fall also saw no one behind her on the staircase
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
Re: The Stanley Hotel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04 2008 - 10:14PM »
That is a cool place. TAPS have done a couple of investigations there.  I would love to visit it one time.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04 2008 - 10:42PM »
Wow I guess the ghosties did not like the fact that the sister of the bride in 2006 was so bold as to actually kid around about the hautnings or Stephen Kings book..... LOL  I know if I was her sister I would've pushed her down!...lol I don't think I'd have pushed her down the stairs but yeah...I would've pushed her....lol

That is really a beautiful place. And from what I hear the skiing is wonderful!
« Last Edit: Feb 11 2008 - 05:48AM by colleen2510 »
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Rivers

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10 2008 - 12:22AM »
When Stephen King was writing his book "The Shining " there , he and his wife had an experience that was not to be forgotten nor taken lightly.  When they returned to their room from having dinner their clothes had been unpacked, refolded and hung neatly in place as well as placed neatly in the chests. The Bed covers had also been turned down with chocolates left on the pillows. This is a report that came from a special that was aired on the Discovery Channel concerning hauntings. They inquired of management if they had done this, they were quickly told no-one had entered the room since they had checked in.
Micheal Rivers: Author of Voyage of The Black Witch. Coming soon!! Ghosts of the Coastal plains.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11 2008 - 05:50AM »
Cool! Thanks for that bit of knowledge Rivers. I think that I had heard something about this also but I did not know what had happened to them.  That's cool!   =D>   ;)
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com