Discussions > Science & Technology

SCIENTIST - one step closer to creating a time machine?

(1/5) > >>

Ghost1:
A time machime, holly crap.....imagine how much more we could screw up the world with that.  ter

If you could would you want to go back in time?  Qu

Two scientists claim the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) - a giant atom-smashing machine - could open the door to unexpected visitors from the future. The machine, due to come on stream this year, has been constructed at CERN, the European particle physics centre near Geneva. And the scientists' calculations show it is possible the machine will tear a hole in the fabric of space and time, creating a gateway to tomorrow. That means, with sufficiently advanced technology, people from the future might even be able to walk through it. Designed to investigate the origins of the universe, the machine will generate particles with so much energy that scientists are not entirely sure what will happen when they switch the machine on. And now the science bit. One possibility is that microscopic black holes will be created within the LHC. But Russian mathematicians Irina Aref’eva and Igor Volovich point to another scenario. They believe a “wormhole” could open up, linking our time with another in the future. Such a time tunnel would need to be propped open for anyone to step through it. But this could happen if “dark energy” - the mysterious anti-gravity force that causes galaxies to accelerate away from each other - possesses a special “phantom” property. The year 2008 might then become “Year Zero” for future time travellers, since it would only be possible to travel back as far as the first doorway in time. Manipulating such a wormhole to create a viable time machine would take incredibly advanced technology, New Scientist magazine reported - yet this could not be ruled out in the distant future.
It added: “If a combination of fast-moving particles and phantom energy does create a wormhole in Geneva this year, such an advanced civilisation could find it in their history books, pinpoint the moment, and take advantage of their technology to pay us a visit.”

http://thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article771201.ece

Colleen2510:
Well I can't say that I believe that it can happen. I believe that what has happened is over with and cannot be repeated. Not to say that it doesn't get recorded some place but just as a recording is a recording and cannot be changed without erassing it and redoing it I don't think that we can relive an actual event.  The future has not even happened yet so it is not even recorded any place yet.  I don't think it's possible.

But then...... No one thought that anyone would ever be flying back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean in a big Jet while watching movies on tiny little screens imbedded in the back of semi-comfortable chairs and choosing between 1st and 2nd class either.  So I will wait and see and hope that if it is possible that it will be working before I leave the earth and become a spirit....  :Y:

;)

Darkone:
 ter    A time machine, I don't think the world is ready for such a thing.  Seems a bit to dangerous!  cho

Ghost1:
Here is a story update, the Hadron Collider, LHC  will be on-line in weeks.......................The first time travellers from the future could materialise on Earth within a few weeks.   cho

Time travellers from the future 'could be here in weeks'

Physicists around the world are excitedly awaiting the start up of the £4.65 billion Large Hadron Collider, LHC - the most powerful atom-smasher ever built - which is supposed to shed new light on the particles and forces at work in the cosmos and reproduce conditions that date to near the Big Bang of creation.1.21 gigawatts of electricity: Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd in the De Lorean time machine from Back to the Future Prof Irina Aref'eva and Dr Igor Volovich, mathematical physicists at the Steklov Mathematical Institute in Moscow believe that the vast experiment at CERN, the European particle physics centre near Geneva in Switzerland, may turn out to be the world's first time machine, reports New Scientist.  The debut in early summer could provide a landmark because travelling into the past is only possible - if it is possible at all - as far back as the point of creation of the first time machine.

That means 2008 could become "Year Zero" for temporal travel, they argue.

Time travel was born when Albert Einstein's colleague, Kurt Gödel, used Einstein's theory of relativity to show that travel into the past was possible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/02/06/scitime106.xml

Tenbears:
I voted for the Lottery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version