Poll

Would you go back in time, If so why?

To change the way you did something in your life.
12 (44.4%)
To save a friend or loved one from something that has happened.
5 (18.5%)
To win the lottery.
3 (11.1%)
To change history.
2 (7.4%)
Just for kicks.
3 (11.1%)
I wouldn't want to go back in time!
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: SCIENTIST - one step closer to creating a time machine?  (Read 7205 times)

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
Re: SCIENTIST - one step closer to creating a time machine?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21 2009 - 11:16AM »
I'm looking....I think we are still here  :Spying: I haven't heard of any visits by peeples of the future yet,  ;)
T H E  T R U T H  I S  O U T  T H E R E

Offline The Hauwk

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23 2009 - 11:18PM »
it got really exciting and hyped up....then nothing happen...per usual when it comes to things like time travel.....cause everything is just theory
I'm anemic royalty

Offline jfloydian

• Supreme Allied Commander
  • Apparition
  • You are forsaken.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24 2009 - 12:48AM »
it got really exciting and hyped up....then nothing happen...per usual when it comes to things like time travel.....cause everything is just theory

I agree. I PREACH relativity. Almost all is relative. I cold prove anything. Point being-- who knows.
You are forsaken.

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22 2010 - 10:50AM »
Hang on, here we go again!   ter

Atom smasher ramped up in quest for secrets of universe

Sun Feb 21, 9:27 am ET

GENEVA (AFP) – Scientists are restarting the world's most powerful atom-smasher over coming days, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said Sunday, as they prepare a new campaign to explore the secrets of the universe.

The 3.9 billion euro (5.6 billion dollars) Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was shut down in December to ready it for collisions at unfathomed energy levels. It was run for a few weeks after being successfully revived from a 14 month breakdown.

The particle collider -- inside a 27-kilometre (16.8-mile) tunnel straddling the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva -- is aimed at understanding the origins of the universe by recreating the conditions that followed the Big Bang.

"We should be getting beams back in the LHC between Monday and Wednesday, with the first high energy collisions - so the real start of the research programme - coming two to four weeks later," CERN spokesman James Gillies told AFP.

"This is as scheduled when we switched off in December."

In the weeks before the technical shutdown, the collider achieved over a million particle collisions and accelerated proton beams to energy levels never reached before, according to CERN.

Collisions reached a world record energy level of 2.36 teraelectronvolts (TeV), already allowing scientists to gather data.

But CERN now wants to reach 7.0 TeV to try to recreate conditions close to the Big Bang, and run it at those levels for 18 to 24 months.

Subsequently the scientists aim to reach the LHC's design energy of 14 TeV, but only following another long technical shutdown in the second half of 2011.

Before the LHC experiment, no particle accelerator had exceeded 0.98 TeV. One TeV is the equivalent to the energy of motion achieved by a flying mosquito.

The winter standby was used to bolster the accelerator for the higher electric currents demanded by such enormous energy levels, and upgrade its cryogenic cooling system.

The LHC, a global effort, aims to resolve physics problems including "dark matter" and "dark energy", thought to account for 96 percent of the cosmos.

The scientists' Holy Grail is to find a theorised component called the Higgs Boson, commonly called the "God Particle", which would explain how particles acquire mass.

The experiment, the fruit of decades of experiments and research by physicists from around the world, has even attracted Hollywood in recent years with the fictional blockbuster "Angels and Demons".
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline solja

• Intoxicated Alcoholic Apparition
  • Ghost Hunter
  • If you can Duck it... well you know the rest.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28 2010 - 12:48AM »
I really wish they wouldnt mention the movie, the movie was horrible. The book contains so much information on this place, you can honestly imagine you're standing right there. If you want some info on the CERN tube, the book will get you a better view than the movie.
I love beer

Offline agnostimed13

• Mere Mortal
  • Bachelors Grove's Chief of Medicine
« Reply #20 on: Apr 21 2011 - 02:14PM »
Time travel will never be possible IMO.

Offline bigduece

• Apparition
« Reply #21 on: Apr 28 2011 - 04:54PM »
I tried to explain this once to a person, who thought they were scientific cause they read a lot of sci-fi.  Time travel is impossible.  Even if one were to go back in time, they would never be able to return to the time they came from.  Think of it as a line graph.  You go back to 1865, to keep president lincoln from being assassinated.  The time line that you came from would disappear, and be replaced with a different one.  The events of the previous timeline would not have happened, therefore, the events that led up to your creation would not have happened.  And with the intervention of you in 1865 America, a time which you do not belong, you would alter history even if you were trying to do something good. 
I am the one of the most pitiful beings on earth.....a baltimore oriole fan!!!