Author Topic: A Guide to Haunted Lighthouses  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
A Guide to Haunted Lighthouses
« on: Jun 19 2008 - 11:06PM »
What is it about lighthouses that seems to make them ideal settings for hauntings? Perhaps it's the isolation or the extreme age of many of these magnificent structures. Or perhaps it's because the lighthouse keepers – who are often said to be the ones haunting the buildings – lived in solitude for long periods of time, often cut off from other people for weeks, even months at a time. Perhaps this solitude leaves a shadowy imprint of their lives within the stone and mortar of these wind and wave-swept beacons.

Here is a mini-directory of haunted lighthouses around North America.

BIG BAY POINT LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1896
The haunting: This stately brick lighthouse might be haunted by the ghost of H. William Prior, who was the facility’s first keeper. According to Big Bay Point Lighthouse History by Jeff and Linda Gamble, “Prior was despondent after the death of his son and on June 28th he disappeared into the woods with his gun and some strychnine. It was feared that he had gone off to kill himself, and a subsequent long search failed to find him. Mrs. Prior and her family left Big Bay on October 22, 1901 to live in Marquette. Over a year later, the following entry was made in the station log:"

Mr. Fred Babrooster came to the station 12:30 pm. While hunting in the woods one and a half mile south of the station this noon he found a skeleton of a man hanging to a tree. We went to the place with him and found that the clothing and everything tally with the former keeper of this station who has been missing for seventeen months.
It’s said that the ghost of the red-haired Mr. Prior is occasionally seen on the property and may be responsible for the unexplained slamming of doors. Today, Big Bay Point Lighthouse is a Bed and breakfast. More information

GIBRALTAR POINT LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1808
The haunting: This lighthouse was so-named because the governor at the time of its building thought it should be fortified as strong as the Rock of Gibraltar. The ghost here might be that of J. P. Radan Muller, the lighthouse’s first keeper, who supplemented his income as a bootlegger of American whiskey. In 1815, soldiers from Fort York came to the island in search of some of Muller’s whiskey. He obliged, but when they requested seconds, so the story goes, Muller refused and a fight ensued. Muller was never seen again, although it is assumed that he was murdered by the soldiers. The remains of a body were discovered in 1904 and reburied. According to a 1958 short documentary about the lighthouse, workers and visitors have witnessed many forms of unexplained phenomena there, including lights in the windows where there should be none, the shadowy form of a man drifting across the sand in the moonlight, blood stains on the staircase, and an eerie moaning sound. Today, the lighthouse stands unused as a historical landmark. More information

SHERWOOD POINT LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1883
The haunting: Sherwood Lighthouse was the last lighthouse on the Great Lakes to be converted to automation; it was operated by personnel up until 1983. Today, it is used as a private retreat house for Coast Guard personnel, but is open for tours to the public during the third week of May. And it just might be haunted. “We stopped at Sherwood Point and spoke with a U.S. Coast Guard Reservist, since the Coast Guard administers the site,” reader Joe Severa reports. “He said he has heard noises at night when he stays there. He also showed us a log of people who have stayed there, and their comments about unusual phenomena. Supposedly, a woman haunts the lighthouse.” Could it be the ghost of Minnie Cochems? She and her husband William operated the lighthouse during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. On the morning of August 17, 1928, as Minnie was climbing out of Bed, she collapsed and died. A plaque to her memory remains on the lighthouse to this day. More information

HECETA HEAD LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1894
The haunting: Said to be haunted by the ghost of the "Gray Lady," who is perhaps the mother of an unknown baby whose grave has been found on the grounds. Also known as "Rue," the ghost is known for moving objects, opening and closing cupboard doors and other strange occurrences. One workman claimed to have come face-to-face with Rue in the attic and fled in terror. Days later, while working on the exterior of the building, he accidentally broke one of the attic's windows, but refused to go up there to repair it. He instead repaired it from the outside, leaving the broken glass scattered across the attic floor. That night, workers heard scraping noises in the attic. When they checked it out the next morning, all of the broken glass had been swept into a neat pile. Even today, some report that they have seen an elderly woman looking down from an attic window. The building is a Bed and breakfast today. More information

NEW LONDON LEDGE LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1909
The haunting: This lighthouse's ghost is named Ernie. In 1936, when Ernie learned that his wife had run off with the captain of the Block Island Ferry, he jumped to his death from the roof of the lighthouse. He has since haunted the lighthouse, and his ghost has been known to open and close doors, wash the decks, turn off televisions, turn the fog horn off and on, and untie secured boats to let them drift away.  More information

OLD PORT BOCA GRANDE LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1890
The haunting: This lighthouse might have two ghosts. The first is the young daughter of one of the lighthouse's keepers, who died in the building, perhaps of diphtheria or whooping cough. Tour guides say that she can be heard playing in one of the rooms of the building's upper floor. The second ghost is reputed to be the headless spectre of a Spanish princess named Josefa. According to the legend, when Josefa rejected the love of the Spanish pirate Gasparilla, he lopped off her head with his sword. Her headless spirit has allegedly been seen wandering the beach... looking for her head.  More information

PLYMOUTH LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1769; replaced in 1803, rebuilt in 1843 and 1924
The haunting: Built on the property of John and Hannah Thomas in 1769; they became the lighthouse keepers. John was killed during the Revolutionary War, leaving Hannah as America's first woman lighthouse keeper. The 1924 incarnation of the lighthouse is still standing, but is automated and no longer needs residents to keep it running. Yet some believe Hannah Thomas is still there. Bob and Sandra Shanklins, professional lighthouse photographers, decided to spend the night in the house adjacent to the tower. Bob was awakened in the middle of the night by the apparition of the upper portion of a woman's body floating above his wife's head and staring at him. He described the ghost as wearing old-fashioned clothing that fit close around her neck, and had long dark hair that fell to her shoulders. Was it Hannah Thomas, thinking that her husband had finally returned from the war?  More information

POINT LOOKOUT

When built: 1830; 1883
The haunting: Point Lookout has been called "America's most haunted lighthouse," mostly because of its unfortunate past. In the years of the Civil War, a prison camp was established next to the lighthouse by the Union Army. It was terribly overcrowded and became a breeding ground for disease, despair and death. Many signs of haunting have been reported since the 1860s: strange noises and disembodied voices, some of which have even been recorded on audiotape. The ghost of the first lighthouse keeper, Ann Davis, has been seen standing at the top of the stairway. Other figures have been seen in the basement and searching outside for graves that were moved a century ago. More information

PRESQUE ISLE LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1840
The haunting: Said to be haunted by the ghost of George Parris, the former lighthouse keeper. The lighthouse is now abandoned, yet an amber light is occasionally seen still flashing from the tower. George and Lorraine Parris moved into the small house attached to the lighthouse in 1977, where they looked after the grounds and provided tours to vacationers. The lighthouse was actually taken out of service in 1870, but it wasn't until 1979 that George and the Coast Guard removed the wiring. Yet after George died in 1991, the mystery light began to appear. "I knew right away that it was George," said his widow, who continued the caretaker duties alone. "He used to cook breakfast for me in the morning. Bacon and eggs. There were many mornings when I'd wake up to the smell of breakfast, but naturally no one was there. I knew that it was him." According to one story, a little girl touring the lighthouse with her family had climbed to the top of the tower and returned giggling. When asked who she had been talking to up there, she said, "To the man in the tower." She later identified the man as George Parris from a portrait of him in the cottage. More information

SEQUIN ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1797; rebuilt in 1820 and 1857
The haunting: Reputed to be haunted by the bride of the lighthouse keeper who murdered her there. According to the legend, to help her fight the loneliness and depression of the isolated island, the lighthouse keeper had a piano shipped there for her. Unfortunately, she only had one piece of sheet music, which she learned and played over and over again. This allegedly drove the lighthouse keeper mad and he destroyed the piano - and his young wife - with an axe. Some say her piano music still can be heard floating out over the waves.  More information

SEUL CHOIX POINT LIGHTHOUSE

Location: On Lake Michigan, about 14 miles east of Manistique, Michigan
When built: The light was placed into service in 1892, but the tower had to be rebuilt and the station was not entirely completed until September, 1895
The haunting: "Visitors and workers at the lighthouse complex have reported strange happenings, including moved silverware and other items, footsteps, the strong smell of cigars and the sound of someone climbing the lighthouse steps. Many believe that a lighthouse keeper is still at work."  More information

ST. AUGUSTINE LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1824; 1874
The haunting: Several ghosts are said to haunt this lighthouse. The voice of the 12-year-old daughter of the lighthouse's builder, who drowned near the building, can sometimes be heard. Footsteps from some unseen presence can be heard shuffling on the gravel and on the steps outside the lighthouse. A large, dark male figure has been seen in the basement, possibly the spirit of a former caretaker who hung himself in the lighthouse. More information

ST. SIMONS LIGHTHOUSE

When built: 1810; 1872
The haunting: The keeper's house was the dwelling place of the lighthouse keeper, his assistant and their families. In 1880, an argument broke out between lighthouse keeper Frederick Osborne and his assistant, leaving Osborne dead. Since then, many witnesses have claimed that his heavy footsteps can still be heard climbing the tower's staircase.  More information

WHITE RIVER LIGHT STATION

When built: 1876
The haunting: They say the ghost of White River's first lighthouse keeper, Captain William Robinson, still haunts the structure. He lived there for 47 years with his wife Sara, where they raised their 11 children. When he reached retirement age, his son was appointed keeper, but the Captain refused to leave, keeping up with his daily duties well into his 80s. At 87 he was finally being forced to vacate the lighthouse, and on the evening before he was to leave, he died in his sleep. Those who know the lighthouse well say that the ghosts of the Captain and his wife both haunt the place. In his later years, Captain Robinson walked with a cane, and the distinctive sound of his footsteps and thumping cane still can be heard making his rounds late at night. His wife Sara occasionally leaves signs that she is helping to keep the place tidy.  More information

By Stephen Wagner, About.com

Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
Re: A Guide to Haunted Lighthouses
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19 2008 - 11:27PM »
Awesome Ghost  =D>

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20 2008 - 11:55AM »
 =D> Thanks Bobby, that was a great story.  Your lucky she was able to get a window open, or you would have had a lot of explaining to do!

Loose your little sister in a haunted lighthouse.....Boy are you lucky no ghosts decided to scare her
ter
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21 2008 - 12:12AM »
I have been to that light house is Door County...probably about 20 years ago. I attached a picture of my son and myself there.  Mind you he is now 22.  I also have been to the St Augustine Light house.   Both were before I even heard of ghost hunting.  I would love to go back there again. 

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21 2008 - 01:16AM »
Gina- that is one of the cutest ghosthunting pics I have ever seen! I don't care if he's 22. My daughter is 9 and she will always be a baby to me! Soooooo cute, should be a ghosthunters Hallmark card!!!

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23 2008 - 05:38PM »
This was an excellent thread that you started and it made Bobby think about another great story. I really enjoyed reading all of this.  Thanks everyone! =D>
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline spookypooky

• Apparition
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23 2008 - 09:55PM »
Interesting topic ghost  da

Offline Spirit Chaser

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16 2008 - 11:29PM »
What a cool topic Ghost1  ;)  You even have links to all the lighthouse webs sites too!

Creepy lighthouse's always remind me of the movie "The Fog", where Jamie Lee Curtis is in the lighthouse with those zombie-like ghosts after her
ter

"What you can't see won't hurt you... it'll kill you!"

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 20 2008 - 09:52AM »
What a cool topic Ghost1  ;)  You even have links to all the lighthouse webs sites too!

Creepy lighthouse's always remind me of the movie "The Fog", where Jamie Lee Curtis is in the lighthouse with those zombie-like ghosts after her
ter

"What you can't see won't hurt you... it'll kill you!"

Who was it that played the lady DJ in that movie? I know Jamie Leigh Curtis was in the lighthouse at one time but she started out riding around in a pickup truck and saved the DJ ladies son cause he was home alone after his grandma got killed by The Fog!!! But it's driving me crazy that I forgot the DJ ladies real name! I don't think it was Suzane Plachette but she looked a lot like her. Does anyone know? Qu
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com