Author Topic: Surfing with Sharks  (Read 491 times)

Online Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
Surfing with Sharks
« on: Jul 17 2008 - 03:59PM »
A photographer was taking pictures of these two (very lucky) surfers when he noticed they where not alone...  ter
There was a shark right behind them breaching the water.

This second picture is on the same subject, look at the size of this one in the wave....Good thing the surfer saw it!
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline spookypooky

• Apparition
Re: Surfing with Sharks
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18 2008 - 12:32AM »
Now thats a close call!  Bye

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18 2008 - 12:59AM »
I have never been to an ocean beach for that reason. I am terrified of sharks!!! Who isn't ??

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22 2008 - 05:15PM »
The first one looks almost playful if you didn't know better....lol but that 2nd picture is ominous!! I'll bet that surfer is crapping his wetsuit about then!  ter ter Great pictures.
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22 2008 - 05:16PM »
LMAO at "crapping his wetsuit!"  LOL

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22 2008 - 05:25PM »
I could never stay away from the ocean though. If I get eaten by a shark then so be it. I love the ocean! I love to surf, dive, snorkel or just sunbathe on a nice boat. If I were to get bitten by a shark in a beach setting I would be ok no matter what happened but my greatest fear has always been that I would get left behind by a diving boat like those ppl in the movie. I would HATE that. I feared that way before the movie came out. That can happen to you even when your snorkeling! And it really should never happen cause you pay those ppl for literally putting your life in their hands.
~Colleen~

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22 2008 - 05:27PM »
LMAO at "crapping his wetsuit!"  LOL

I guess that was a little graphic  LOL 

~Colleen~

Online Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22 2008 - 05:31PM »
I've never recovered from JAWS. once that movie came out I was even afraid to go into lake Michigan for a while.   ter  Very little scares me, but those Great White Sharks just terrify me!   ter
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22 2008 - 05:51PM »
Jaws was one scary movie back in the day! I couldn't understand why God made sharks right after seeing that movie when I was about ...umm .... well uh 2 years old....lol
~Colleen~

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22 2008 - 06:38PM »
When I was really little, 4 or 5, my parents left me with a babysitter that watched Jaws. I was traumatized! I had nightmares and I am still terrified of sharks to this day.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23 2008 - 09:59AM »
Yeah I was actually about 12 I think but we lived in a small town and could walk to the Joy Theater on Saturdays.  Me and my brother watched over and over. He was one of those that bought the soundtrack and went back the next weekend and then came home and torchured me with the music that got faster and faster and then hit a cresendo that made you want to jump out of your skin and take off runnin'......LOL
~Colleen~

Offline nothingtoseehere

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26 2008 - 12:32AM »
Hello!  The first one is a real photo,but it's of a spinner shark, which is not dangerous.  Has bitten people, but not a man-eater, and generally knows the diff between people and fish.  It's a requiem shark, so similar to the Lemon, another not so scary one, tho still dangerous.  I actually had to look up spinner, as I wasn't sure where it belonged.

The second one is not a shark, it's a bottlenose dolphin.  It's a real photo, not manipulated, tho, so it's pretty spectacular.  But it's not a shark. Whew!

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26 2008 - 09:24AM »
Hey there Nothingtoseehere! Welcome to the forums here. Very good to have some info on these photos. I kind of thought that one pic was a dolphin but I wasn't sure. The other one...do most surfers know the difference? I'm just wandering if the surfer looking at that thing would have a clue as to what he was heading into or if he was having a heart attack about now   :)
~Colleen~

Offline nothingtoseehere

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26 2008 - 10:22AM »
Hello!  I actually have a very long post introducing myself in the general info forum.  Neat board. 

I don't know about the context of the picture, if the surfers even know what they're seeing or not, but I a big shark fan, so I know alot about sharks. When these photos came out, I knew the one in the water was definitely a dolphin cuz the tail wasn't the right shape, and the fin was not a shark fin. But the picture of the breaching shark was definitely a shark, just dind't know what kind, or if the picture was a fake. So, I looked them both up, and snopes (www.snopes.com) confirmed the dolphin, but I had to go to cnn.com to find that the breaching shark was, indeed, a real picture.

If it were me in the water at the time, I'd've passed out right then and there.  Shark food.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26 2008 - 11:06AM »
Oh man am I  emb  I had them mixed up. I actually thought that it was the other way around.  Still though that surfer may not have known just what he was looking at. But your saying that the really big one in wave is actually the dolphin. Wow! That is a big dolphin! I would love to see one but not in that same scenario....LOL
~Colleen~