Author Topic: The legendary "Mothman"  (Read 49143 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
The legendary "Mothman"
« on: Mar 04 2008 - 05:01PM »
One of the strangest stories of the paranormal to emerge from the bewildering and often mystifying realm of cryptozoological wonders is undoubtedly the legendary "Mothman". While much of the public today might wish to dismiss this story as a fictional creation of the media or an exagerration of myth by John Keel who wrote the book, "Mothman Prophecies" later turned into a movie with Richard Gere, this Fortean wonder of the sixties remains as one of the most puzzling and unique predators of the unknown.
[float=right][/float]
Point Pleasant, West Virginia was a peaceful place in 1966 until a winged monster with glowing red eyes suddenly appeared from nowhere and terrorized over a hundred people living in the region. The first sighting actually occurred on November 15, 1966 in the old TNT area located on the outskirts of Point Pleasant. Two couples, the Scarberry's and the Mallettes, were cruising down a dirt road near the old power station when they spotted what appeared to be a "man with wings" standing near a telephone pole. As their car's headlights illuminated the strange being, it rapidly walked towards the power station and entered it.

Growing increasingly frightened, the driver of the car, Roger Scarberry, abruptly turned the car around and headed back on to route 62 towards town when all of a sudden the winged monstrosity appeared in their rear view mirror, flying towards the vehicle. Everyone screamed and the driver gunned the engine up to over 100 miles per hour with the "thing" flying right behind them. Eventually the creature flew ahead down the road and was later seen sitting atop an advertising billboard leering at them as they drove down the highway before eventually flying off towards a dam on the Ohio River.

Later, the two couples drove pell mell into the Mason County police station and related their tale to town authorities. All claimed to have witnessed a being six to eight feet tall with a ten-foot wingspan and glowing red eyes. Other features of the face were indistinguishable since the being's countenance appeared dark and obscure. Amazingly, over the next several months over a hundred witnesses saw this creature and many claimed just as the first witnesses to have been chased by this thing.
[float=left][/float]
Probably the most bizarre event of all was the fact that on December 13, 1967 two truck drivers said they saw the creature perched atop the old Silver Bridge that conjoins Point Pleasant and Gallipolis, Ohio. Upon their approach, the winged thing flew  off into the night never to be seen again. It was on the following day (Dec. 14) around 5:00 p.m. during a frigid rush hour with dozens of Christmas shoppers and workers criss-crossing the bridge returning to their respective homes that the Silver Bridge suddenly collapsed sending over 46 people to their deaths in the icy waters of the Ohio River.

Engineers later said that a faulty I-Beam might have been responsible for the tragedy but no ultimate cause for the disaster was ever found. As mentioned earlier, all reports of the mothman seemed to cease and desist following this unfortunate episode
[float=left][/float]
Over time, other sightings of Mothman have occurred in various parts of the world since its visitations in Point Pleasant. During the Vietnam War, a troop encampment near DaNang witnessed a flying creature resembling a female form with wings and glowing eyes just before a military defeat resulting in heavy loss of life. And more recently and perhaps more poignantly, a winged figure was photographed from afar unknowingly by an amateur photographer the day of the World Trade Center attacks in New York. His photo (at this time not analyzed to our knowledge) clearly depicts a large bird-man figure flying amidst the rubble and chaos moments following the attack on the north tower. Is it possible that the Mothman represents a sort of angel of death figure that occasionally appears in areas of the world where tragedy is destined to strike? It is an enigma that is difficult to say one way or the other.

An interesting side note to all of this is the recent spate of sightings in Texas and Wyoming in 2003. As recently as June, a couple returning home from a camping trip near Yellowstone Park sighted a large winged monster tracking a small herd of terrified deer across a country road. "The creature," they said "flew very fast" and had "large glowing red eyes". Whether or not the paranormal predator was chasing the animals for food or something else may never be known.
[float=right][/float]
However strange and impossible these stories might seem to the layman, let it be known that such things do and have occurred in modern times. There are simply too many witnesses to a phenomenon that continues to perplex psychic investigators to this day. In the case of the West Virginia sightings, why on earth would so many good-hearted country people make up a story so preposterous as this? It also must be kept in mind that many who saw the creature never sought after any kind of publicity.

To this day, no one knows what the Mothman represents. There is still a lingering fear and terror widespread among those communities that have had brushes with it. And an uncertain, frightful feeling that someday it might return to haunt their town once more.

Here is the supposed picture of the Mothman on Sept 11, by the World Trade center.  I'm not really sure If I believe this one or not, I kind of think it's a fake.  With the amount of news teams on the seen there that day, if there would have been something that big flying around in the bright daylight you would have heard about it?   eno

Here is more info on the Mothman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

http://www.prairieghosts.com/moth.html

http://www.worldoftheunknown.com/mothman.html

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/WVPOImothman.html
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
Re: The legendary "Mothman"
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05 2008 - 08:50AM »
That is a great story isn't it?  I am sure that you must of saw the episode of paranormal state on Monday where they investigated this legend.  I just love stories like this.  One can't help but think that there has to be something to it because so many people share the same story.  But I have to agree with you ghost on the New York picture.  I also think it is most likely fake.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08 2008 - 03:15PM »
This is quite an informative post Ghost. Thanks. I love the story of the Mothman. And I thought that Paranormal State was really good this week. I hadn't even seen or heard about the photo at the world trade center.  I wish that so many ppl wouldn't try to fake pictures and that we could believe it when there was a good one but since there are so many ppl who get a kick out of pulling juvenile pranks simply because they can then we have to believe only what we can analyze to death and then what is left over is fact. I believe that was a saying by Jason Hawes of T.A.P.S. though he might not be the first or only one to say it.   :^:
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline The Shadow

• Paranormal PI
  • Shaman
  • Tonight on Bachelors-Grove.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08 2008 - 10:53PM »
Thats one thing I would love to catch. Kinda of like they had the thing from jeepers creepers
Did I just see what I think I saw? Yeah you did! Now lets put it on Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08 2008 - 10:55PM »
Thats one thing I would love to catch. Kinda of like they had the thing from jeepers creepers

I'm not getting near that thing from Jeeper Creepers  ter  I still hear that damn song..............
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11 2008 - 10:28AM »
Here is a video from Unsolved Mysteries about the Mothman.  I know this isn't the video board, but we already have a Mothman link here.  This is a VERY good video!  :Y:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=3747149

Offline Darkone

• Apparition
  • RIP
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17 2008 - 02:33PM »
What a great post Ghost1, you really did your research on this!   =D>
Mothman has always fascinated me, so many people have seen it that it can't just be a made up story.

PS:  I think the 9/11 one is a fake too!

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19 2008 - 09:44PM »
Here are two pictures of the mothman on a bridge, or so the poster has said?.......I have no other background on the pictures.   What do you all think, It does kind of look like it? 

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23 2008 - 01:28PM »
Impressive photos but obviously 2 different sightings. Would be nice to have more than one photo of one sighting. But they may not have known that the creature was there until later reviewing the photos.
~Colleen~

Offline Tenbears

• Apparition
    • conspiracy 2012
Re: Paranormal State - Mothman- Hokoleskwa or Cornstalk
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18 2008 - 10:25AM »
I don't know what to say about that...
« Last Edit: Sep 19 2010 - 06:28PM by Tenbears »

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19 2008 - 01:38AM »
that was very interesting Tenbears

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20 2008 - 05:44PM »
I saw a documentary on him once on the discovery channel. Very interresting indeed. :Y:
~Colleen~

Offline The Shadow

• Paranormal PI
  • Shaman
  • Tonight on Bachelors-Grove.com
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20 2008 - 05:58PM »
Tenbears thanks for the follow up
Did I just see what I think I saw? Yeah you did! Now lets put it on Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Tenbears

• Apparition
    • conspiracy 2012
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20 2008 - 11:18PM »
anything for a well informed intellect like yourself
« Last Edit: Sep 20 2010 - 05:51AM by Tenbears »

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17 2008 - 09:45AM »
Here is a Mothman update, two new sightings in Tennessee.

------------------------------------------------------

Mothman in Middle Tennessee?

Two sightings of a strange creature that fits the Mothman description

By Stephen Wagner, About.com
------------------------------

BY SANDY NICHOLS

BEING A PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR, it is my responsibility to report as accurately as possible and in as much detail as possible, any strange occurrence or sighting that happens my way. Over the last several years of doing this research, I have grown fairly adept at being able to discern small details in photos and videos. I use this same learned ability when doing ghost research, UFO skywatching, or any other research activity. It is in this same vein that I share this sighting that I personally witnessed on July 20, 2005. I will not state emphatically that what I witnessed was the actual “Mothman” creature, but what I did witness had the general overall appearance of the creature as described by others.

Story continues here: Mothman in Tennessee