Author Topic: Lily Edith Gray  (Read 14772 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
Lily Edith Gray
« on: Apr 06 2008 - 02:41PM »
I found this one and found it to be quite intriguing, what a mystery  cher 
Why the heck would it say this on a tombstone?
  cho

[float=right][/float]
We are currently doing some research on Lily Edith Gray. She is buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery and has one of the most well known headstones in Utah folklore. Below her dates of birth and death, 1881-1958, is an inscription “Victim of the beast 666". There is very little known information about her, however she was fairly new to the Salt Lake area, married, and died in an area hospital of “natural causes”. Her husband outlived her by several years and is buried on the opposite side of the cemetery. I hope to soon have some more insight into this Utah enigma.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN HELP US FIND HER STORY PLESE VISIT OUR WEBSITE WITH THE INFORMATION
http://www.paranormalutah.com
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
Re: Lily Edith Gray
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06 2008 - 03:29PM »
I know I'm interested! ;)
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline The Shadow

• Paranormal PI
  • Shaman
  • Tonight on Bachelors-Grove.com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09 2008 - 04:29PM »
The Investigation

I have begun an investigation into the mystery of the strange inscription on this tombstone. There are few facts and clues to begin with. Lily Edith Gray's infamous gravesite is in the Salt Lake City Cemetery. This is not a rumor, urban legend or hoax; the cemetery, gravesite, and inscription are real, and can be viewed by the public during cemetery hours. I have personally been to the gravesite many times.

Lily Edith Gray's obituary is apparently easily found on microfiche, and the contents of which are reported by various easily accessible internet sources as containing information concerning her name, Lily Edith Gray, and her address at time of death, 1216 Pacific Ave, SLC. Survivors include a husband, Elmer Lewis Gray, and several unnamed nieces and nephews. Death is said to be from natural causes at a local hospital.

There are several discrepancies between the information on her grave maker and the information contained in records. The cemetery sexton's records confirm the single L in her first name, and the birth date of June 4th, 1880, opposed to the stone's version of June 6, 1881.

New information...

Lily's husband, Elmer Lewis Gray, whom Edith married when she was 72 years old, may have been incarcerated before their marriage. I have found records for an Elmer L. Gray's "Criminal Pardons Application" in 1947. I have put in a request for the records, and will post them as soon as I receive them. I have also found a 1901 Ogden Standard newspaper clipping in which a man named Elmer Gray was arrested and sentenced to "five days on the rockpile" for stealing an umbrella valued at $3.50, from the Paine and Hurst Company. I have no way of knowing if this is the same Elmer Gray, but the date & his age seems to fit.

1216 Pacific Ave. is still a legitimate address in Salt Lake City. The 'grid' address translates into 1216 West 440 South. I visited and photographed the building that currently occupies that address. Although only the 1 & the 6 of the complete address can be seen, this is due to disrepair. The building was clearly the correct address however. I will be attempting to locate the property records to find out what kind of building or home used to be at this location. It is a large lot in a residential area with single family houses surrounding it. The current building is an apartment building, but judging from the architecture, probably only dating from the late 1960's to early 1970's. From the size of the lot, it is feasible that it was once a nursing home or boarding house. I will have more details as they emerge.

Who is Anna Swenson? This person or her living descendants may be another possible source of information. An online registry of subscibers of the weekly newspaper "Finskan Amerikanaren" reveals that a subscriber resided at 1216 Pacific Ave. in Salt Lake, between 1954 & 1955, named Mrs. Anna Swenson. Could she have been living with Lily (and Elmer?) Gray? A caregiver, perhaps? A neighbor in an apartment? This assumes that Lily was living at this address during these years, which has not been confirmed. No further records have been found yet.

Another clue to the stone's meaning may be found in is its chosen adornment. Douglas Keister's wonderful book, "Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography"contains a section on foliage and flowers, and the flower on Lily's grave, as seen on the right, is clearly an evening primrose. According to Keisler, evening primrose is also known as "Devil's Lantern", and among its meanings on tombstones are eternal love, youth, memory, hope, and sadness.

On a return trip to Lily's grave, I did note that many, many stones near hers also have the same or similar evening primrose image. This flower seems to have been quite popular, and may have been a standard decoration, rather than chosen for its meaning or symbolism. On the other hand, I have located Elmer's gravestone, and adorning it is the daffodil, otherwise known as "Narcissus." In browsing hundreds and hundreds of nearby stones, I found no other daffodils. Perhaps his was in fact, chosen for its meaning; vanity and self-love, or, conversely, triumph over these qualities.

Some theories...

The Devil's Highway

I have considered that Route 666 which runs through Utah in the four corners area and is nicknamed "The Devil's Highway" could have anything to do with this. I think it is a fair possibility. It is reasonable to assume that Lily traveled at least a bit; she was born in Canada, married in Elko, and lived in Salt Lake City. Perhaps she had some creepy incident or accident on the highway worthy enough to be noted on her tombstone. I have also found some sites that alluded to the highway as a 'beast'. As expected, the highway has legends attached to it: skinwalkers, demons, accidents, etc. This is all pure speculation, of course, but somewhat intriguingly coincidental.

Numerology

There is an obvious connection to the inscription's 666 and her birth date. June is the 6th month; therefore her birth date would be 6-6-1881. Intriguing, especially when figuring this birth date is a contrivance, and her true birth date would read 6-4-1881. The number 1881 is interesting in that is a palindrome of a number equaling the magic 9, but it would be more compelling if it somehow added up numerologically to a 6. I feel the numbers are coincidental and accidental (the incorrect birth date a mistake, that is) and have little to do with the meaning of the inscription. If her birth date unquestionably added up to 6-6-6 somehow, then I think it would be plausible to conclude the inscription was a pun or reference to feeling a victim of being born in connection with that notorious number. As it stands, I don't believe the numerology theory holds much weight. I am certainly no expert in this field, however, but I am working with a professional, and will soon have a complete analysis.

Aleister Crowley

Initially, I dismissed the idea that the infamous occultist Aleister Crowley could have anything to do with Lily's grave. As I continue to research, however, I am struck with the notion of true possibility. I knew he referred to himself, and was referred to both as "The Beast", and "666", I didn't realize he was referred to literally and specifically as "The Beast 666." Supposing that the stone does in fact refer to Crowley, it then "reads well." By that, I mean that the seemingly obscure and puzzling phrase, "Victim of the Beast 666" plainly states a very simple message, in no need of supposition or decoding. "The Beast 666" was a 'name' of Crowley's. In that sense, Lily's stone states, "Victim of Aleister Crowley." And, by not stating that exactly, but using the chosen moniker, it conveys the idea of his teachings, and his persona in that arena.

Every other conjecture I or others have proposed does not "read well." For example, if the "Beast 666" refers to her husband, why would anyone specifically use that terminology? If it refers to Highway 666 in Southern Utah, why not use the true nickname of the highway, "The Devil's Highway"? If it refers to the Devil, or Hitler, or some religious issue, why not just state that plainly? It doesn't seem logical to be willing to use such inflammatory wording, yet so unwilling to convey the true message.

Perhaps the true message is simply conveyed. Much has written on Crowley's notorious treatment of his many students and followers. He traveled and lived in The U.S. and Canada during the years 1915-1919. Apparently his presence in the States was profound; upon his death in 1947, his ashes were sent to followers in America. The timeframe fits; Crowley was born in 1875, and Lily in 1880. As far-fetched as it seems, I believe there is a good possibility that Lily could have known and been closely associated enough with Crowley to have had enough of an impact on her life, as to be immortalized on her tombstone. I am now focusing my attention on the Crowley theory in the investigation, and hope to uncover evidence of their affiliation soon.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/129837/victim_of_the_beast_666_the_investigation.html

It seems we have come to a bit of roadblock with Lilly Gray, but I am not displeased with the amount of information we have gathered. We have found and used information from cemetery records, marriage records, and obituaries. I was able to use the microfilm archives for the Salt Lake Tribune at USU (Utah State University) to obtain the obituaries and funeral announcements for both Lilly and her husband Elmer. My next step was to get the death certificates for both, but apparently fifty years must pass to receive a copy unless you are next of kin or the deceased person yourself. Yes, I know, but it’s true. Even with EVP and other after death communications, this one presents a bit of a difficulty. So in two years, if I haven’t found the information we need, I will be at vital statistics getting a copy. We still plan on pursuing every possible avenue for information on this and are by no means giving up.

Here is what we know from the information gathered so far:  Lilly Edith Gray was born in Ontario Canada.
She was most likely born on June 4, 1880 and not June 6, 1881 as her grave marker indicates.
Her name is likely spelled Lillie (from marriage records) and not Lilly (gravestone) or Lily (cemetery records).
Her last name prior to marrying Elmer Gray was Zimmerman. We don’t know if this is was indeed her maiden name or a last name from a previous marriage as they were fairly old when they married. For all we know, she was a widow.
She moved to the Salt Lake area about 1950, married Elmer July 10, 1952, and died Nov. 14, 1958.
Her current cemetery plot number is X-1-169-4E at the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Elmer Lewis Gray was born March 12, 1881 in Butler Missouri, and died Halloween, 1964.
He was a retired butcher.
He suffered from a long term illness.
Had a brother, William Gray, that lived in Golden Colorado.

http://www.paranormalutah.com/index.php?Itemid=2&id=21&option=com_content&task=view

In a nondescript section of the Salt Lake City Cemetery lies a small gravestone that bears an inscription so unusual that it has for years aroused curiosity, rumor, speculation – even fear – within those who have encountered it.

While surrounding grave markers are inscribed with such common inscriptions as “devoted mother,” “beloved husband” or simply “in loving memory,” the gravestone of Lily E. Gray is inscribed with the mysterious and highly provocative phrase: “Victim of the Beast 666.”

This is an allusion, of course, to the New Testament’s Book of Revelation, 13th chapter, which has been interpreted to refer to the Antichrist: And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon....

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred threescore and six [666].

“The Beast” and “666” have henceforth become synonymous with Satan and the Antichrist.

Why, then, when other gravestones are inscribed with loving tributes, is Lily Gray’s engraved with this dark, enigmatic message? What does it mean? In what way was she a victim of the Beast? Who chose this unnerving inscription for her eternal resting place?

These questions and more have been the crux of the mystery surrounding Lily Gray’s grave for decades in Salt Lake City. No one seems to know what it means. And few have bothered to investigate to find out.

No one has done more to try to unravel the mystery, perhaps, than Richelle Hawks. A long-time resident of Salt Lake, Richelle has dug deeper than anyone to find out what the inscription might mean. “Salt Lake City is home of the massive LDS (Latter-day Saints)-operated Family History Library, and the world's geneaological research mecca,” says Richelle on her Cemetery Legends website. “Since the stone's erection in 1958, no one has dug deeply enough to uncover even a minimal account of Lily Gray's life and the origins of the inscription. When confronted with apparent true lunacy, evil, religious fervor, abuse, or implausible as it may be, ultimate victimhood at the hands of Satan (as the stone literally implies) do we collectively turn our heads?”

The investigation

Scouring the Internet and local records, Richelle has uncovered several fascinating clues about the meaning of the inscription. But her research has also produced additional mysteries. The engraving on the stone, for example, is inaccurate.

“There are several discrepancies between the information on her gravemaker and the information contained in records,” Richelle says. “Although I am relying on Internet sources for the obituary information regarding the spelling of her name and her birth date, the cemetery sexton's records confirm the single ‘L’ in her first name, and the birth date of June 4th, 1880, opposed to the stone's version of June 6, 1881.”

How is it that Lily’s name was incorrectly spelled “Lilly” on the gravestone? Simply an engraver’s error? But what about the birth date? Was it purposely changed from June 4 to June 6 to reinforce the 666 reference?

Lily’s brief obituary cites her death at age 77 (or 78, depending on which birth date is correct) from “natural causes.” So there doesn’t seem to have been any foul play in her victimhood, at least that directly caused her death.

So how was poor Lily a “victim of the Beast”? In fact, who says she was? Who requested that epitaph? Was it Lily herself? Her husband, Elmer? Other members of her family or friends?

Richelle has discovered interesting information about Elmer Gray and his background that may yield clues about his nature and his relationship with Lily.

“Her husband, Elmer Lewis Gray, whom Edith married when she was 72 years old, may have been incarcerated before their marriage,” says Richelle. “I have found records for an Elmer L. Gray's ‘Criminal Pardons Application’ in 1947. I have also found a 1901 Ogden Standard newspaper clipping in which a man named Elmer Gray was arrested and sentenced to ‘five days on the rockpile’ for stealing an umbrella valued at $3.50, from the Paine and Hurst Company. I have no way of knowing if this is the same Elmer Gray, but the date and his age seems to fit.”

Although these records suggest that Elmer Gray (if it is the same man) was only a petty criminal, could he be the “beast” to whom Lily fell victim? Interestingly, Elmer’s grave can be found in the same cemetery – but in a plot far from his wife’s.

Cemetery symbolism

Further clues in this grave mystery might be found in the decoration on both Lily’s and Elmer’s tombstones. “Douglas Keister's wonderful book, Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography contains a section on foliage and flowers,” Richelle says, “and the flower on Lily's grave is clearly an evening primrose.”

According to Keisler, the evening primrose has several meanings when used on tombstones, including eternal love, youth, memory, hope, and sadness. Perhaps, however, more symbolism can be construed from the primrose’s nickname: Devil's lantern.

The carved floral adornment on Elmer’s stone could be just as telling. “They are clearly daffodils, otherwise known as Narcissus,” Richelle has found. “According to Keister's book, the daffodil as used in funerary art can have the negative connotations associated with narcissism of vanity and self-love. It could also indicate triumph over these qualities, thus representing divine love and sacrifice. Either way, it is quite interesting that the Narcissus was chosen for Elmer's grave.”

Investigation continues

The probe into the meaning behind “Victim of the Beast 666” is far from over. In fact, although she has had more success than any other researcher into this mystery, Richelle believes she has only scratched the surface. Research into this case has proved difficult, but she is certain that someone out there must have some insight about the inscription – family members, people who knew the couple, neighbors, employers.

Anyone who has any information about this puzzle is invited to contact Richelle through her blog, The Devil and Lilly E. Gray. There you will find the latest information she has uncovered, as well as related photos.

Finding the truth will, perhaps, establish finally that Lily was not a victim of the Beast at all, but only of a notorious and cruel epitaph. If she was a victim in life, we’re sure she now rests in peace.

http://www.thothweb.com/article4163.html
Did I just see what I think I saw? Yeah you did! Now lets put it on Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Witchiepoo

• Resident Witch
  • Empath
  • There IS a method to my madness...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19 2010 - 08:48AM »
:Y: to you Shadow!!! Great job looking all that up and posting it for us to read. :)

I am really curious about this headstone... did you find any more information on it??

"I am warm
 I am fire
 Give me all the warmth...
 That I desire."

I believe! ~ I've seen! ~ I've played! ~ More please!!

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19 2010 - 09:16AM »
Thank you Ghost and Shadow for bringing to us a very compelling mystery.
Great job on the investigation so far Shadow!!
T H E  T R U T H  I S  O U T  T H E R E