Author Topic: The Italian Bride of Mt Carmel Cemetary  (Read 2825 times)

Offline scaryd

• Apparition
The Italian Bride of Mt Carmel Cemetary
« on: Jun 06 2009 - 08:02PM »
Wondered if any of you heard this story.  In 1921 Jullia Buccola  died in child birth along with her stillborn baby. She was buried in a single coffin with the baby in her arms. After her burial her mother experienced dreams every night of her daughter Julia saying she was still alive . The dreams persisted and in 1927 she convinced the authorities to exhume the body when they opened the coffin Julia was in appearance the same as the day they buried her, with no visible signs of decay as if she were asleep. I read about this story in Weird Illinios you probably all know Troy TAylor I know Ghost does. Well Mt Carmel is in my neck of the woods so I took some pictures. They say you can smell roses around her grave and she comforts little children that visit the cememtary. :camera:
« Last Edit: Jun 06 2009 - 08:12PM by scaryd »
"Sometimes the Lord quiets the storm, and sometimes he lets the storm rage and calms his child"

Offline Rachael

• General
  • Ghost Hunter
Re: The Italian Bride of Mt Carmel Cemetary
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06 2009 - 08:13PM »
Yes, there is another post around here somewhere about her :)

Mt. Carmel is in my neck of the woods too, and I would love to head back over there sometime, so if you ever get the urge, let me know!
Respect.  Mah.  Authoritah!  

Offline Rachael

• General
  • Ghost Hunter
Respect.  Mah.  Authoritah!  

Offline Aten

• Empath
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07 2009 - 05:36PM »
Yes I heard this story and it is amazing she did not decay. The Italians take this stuff very serious and if I remember someone wanted to make her a saint.

Offline BlackHeart

• Ghost Hunter
  • I love Ghost Hunters :)
    • UnexplainedPhenomena
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08 2009 - 10:33PM »
I've read about this story in one of my ghost books. I have over 20 of them so I can't remember what one I read it in. LOL!!

Offline Tenbears

• Apparition
    • conspiracy 2012
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11 2009 - 01:26PM »
The dreams continued for over six years, during which time Filomena tried without success to have her daughter's grave opened. Finally, she was able to get permission to have her exhumed and when the casket was opened up, Julia's body was found to have not decayed at all.
« Last Edit: Sep 19 2010 - 08:38PM by Tenbears »

Offline jphunter26

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18 2009 - 11:02AM »
This is a pretty interesting story, isn't it?
I live close by in this area too. it also seems that women that are about to be married visit her and her statue and pray their devotions which is why the ground in front of the statue will not grow grass (too many feet churning it up).

I remember being on Richard Crowes' ghost tour of Chicago many years ago and our bus stopped on the road just outside of this statue while Mr. Crowe told this tale. I was definitely intrigued by this and went back on my own time shortly after to see the photo of her opened coffin close up. When I was there I spoke to some workers who were only too happy to talk to me about it! I remember one of them telling me "If I only had a nickel for every woman that comes to pray before that statue!" 

These workers also literally walked me over to a nearby crypt and told me to look in through the window. There before me I beheld a marble column bent like a banana. It seemed that the weight of the ceiling was too much for it. WTH...how can a marble column bend like that? Wouldn't it just crack and crumble away?

These workers also pointed me in the direction of the cemetery across the street to the South...Mary Queen of Heaven. There they told me tales of the solitary crucifix that stands there and of the apparitions seen there.
This is where I believe I had a vision of the Virgin Mother...
T H E  T R U T H  I S  O U T  T H E R E