Author Topic: The Ouija Debate....Portal to evil or harmless game?  (Read 8078 times)

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
I found this very  interesting  article on Ouija boards at About.com, by Stephen Wagner.  I thought I would post it here so everyone could read it.

The Ouija Debate, Portal to evil or harmless game?

THERE’S AN ongoing debate about the powers and realities of the Ouija board. Essentially, there are three basic positions:

* It is inherently dangerous, can open portals to evil entities and should never be used.
    * It is only dangerous if used with evil intent, but can be a useful tool for spirit mediumship if used properly and with good intent.
    * It is inherently harmless and has no real powers of mediumship for good or evil; its effects, if any, are only psychological in nature.

Which is true? Talk to any group of people and you’ll find strong proponents for each argument. A few years ago, I conducted a survey of readers on this subject. It results showed that 65 percent of those who responded felt the Ouija was dangerous, and 35% felt it was harmless.

As expected, most religious leaders are strongly anti-Ouija. More interesting, however, is that many of the top paranormal researchers believe the Ouija to be a dangerous instrument, to be avoided at all cost.

Brad Steiger, one of the most prolific authors on matters supernatural, has consistently stated his opposition to the use or even the ownership of a Ouija board. In his article “Mothers, Don't Let Your Children Grow Up to Play with Ouija Boards,” Steiger recounts his investigation of a 17-year-old girl who began experimenting with the Ouija – with dire consequences. “She thought she had the knowledge to contact spirit entities through the board,” Steiger writes, “but unfortunately she had neglected to assume a prayerful attitude to guard against malignant influences.”

Dale Kaczmarek, founder of the Ghost Research Society, says, “I would strongly advise against the use of the Ouija, automatic writing or séances” in his article “Ouija: Not a Game.” “Most often the spirits whom are contacted through the Ouija are those whom reside on ‘the lower astral plane’.”

One of the most respected paranormal investigators or the past fifty years, Hans Holzer, adds his voice in warning against the Ouija. In the book The Ouija Board: A Doorway to the Occult, author Edmond C. Gruss quotes Holzer as saying, “Those who wish to use the Ouija board as a parlor game I advise to think twice. There is always the possibility – rare, I admit, but conceivable – that one of those playing the board is a genuine trance medium without realizing it. In such a case, the board can become an easy entrance for a disincarnate person… who might next take over the personality of the medium and manifest under conditions where no controls are possible.”

Some readers in the Forum have also had bad experiences. “I'm wondering if anybody else out there knows how dangerous Ouija boards truly are?” says toddybear007. “I had my own experiences a long time ago when I was around 13 years old. To make a long story short, I came face to face with pure evil.”

“I do believe without a doubt that Ouija boards open doors,” adds Deebliss. “The entity that we brought out actually manifested itself to my best friend’s mother….”

Ok, if used with caution

The article “Ouija, Using it Without Harm” on the PaganPath website states: “The Ouija is only as dangerous as you and/or your friends make it. The Ouija can be a useful tool for mediumship (spirit contact) but can also be a tool to tap into the subconscious minds of the users. If you begin your Ouija session with the intention of just seeing what will happen, but without letting superstitious fears scare you, you're well on your way to a fun, entertaining, and informative experience.”

Even those who say the Ouija can be used without harm often suggest performing a “cleansing” before any experiments. According to Crystalinks’ article on the board, “Some people like to say a prayer over the board – or do some other ritual.

So to paraphrase this article, 65% say evil and 45% say harmless.....but you better performing a “cleansing” before any experiments just to be on the safe side? (kind off sounds like the 45% that said it was harmless, don't believe that themselves?)   
So, it's like I said before they are portal's to HELL, stay away!
  Ghost1

http://paranormal.about.com/od/ouijaboards/a/aa040306.htm
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Darkone

• Apparition
  • RIP
Re: The Ouija Debate....Portal to evil or harmless game?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14 2007 - 09:35PM »
Yes, that was a  interesting article.  I think Ouija Boards are bad news too, I have had a very bad experiences with one once.  No more.

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15 2007 - 06:23PM »
Honestly Ouija boards have always creeped me out.  My hubby and step son want to buy one but I absolutely refused to let them have it in the house.

Offline Maggpie

• Ghost runner
  • Shaman
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16 2007 - 06:20PM »
IMO it is just bad mojo :V:  No way would I ever partake.  I would not want to tick off any spirits :V:
Heather & Maggie

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17 2007 - 12:35AM »
I would say that in my opinion the only spirit that would want to enter the earth thru a portal such as the Ouija Board would have to be one from the lower planes. The Upper Class as you might say...... would have no reason to try and come thru from a back door. They are pretty much happy were they are (in my opinion) and I believe that the hierarchy would be allowed to come thru the front door if they wanted to. So if you are going to insist on an experience with a Ouija Board then please at least say the protection spell.....at the very least......as with most things it is also better to be accompanied by someone who has training and experience.  Of course the best thing to do is just as Ghost1 has suggested......and Leave Them Alone!!
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline Rivers

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17 2007 - 11:50PM »
My personal opinion of a Ouija board is simple....It makes great firewood! Just another trivia fact from the gentle folks at River's Run
Micheal Rivers: Author of Voyage of The Black Witch. Coming soon!! Ghosts of the Coastal plains.

Offline atrum somnium

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07 2008 - 11:13PM »
I'm not sure about what a Ouija board REALLY is. However,  I do own one (it glows in the dark, too!  :) ), and I have used it several times, both alone and with friends. It is quite interesting to see what the "board" says. It is also quite shocking, too. I recall one occasion where the "spirit" (only in quotes because I am not going to take a side on spirit VS subconscious) was a little girl that was apparently murdered by a family member... freaky stuff

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08 2008 - 09:57AM »
Did you find out who she was and who killed her and if they had gone to prison or gotten away with it? Did she say what year she had been killed? Could have been someone like Jon Benay Ramsey and you could get info on her killer. But the authorities would prolly try to pin it on you if you had info that no one else had just bcause they don't want to acknowledge things like this but then again more and more ppl are beggining to acknowledge it. Thanks for sharing with us Atrum S. :)
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline The Shadow

• Paranormal PI
  • Shaman
  • Tonight on Bachelors-Grove.com
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08 2008 - 08:24PM »
Stay away from them. If you encounter something after you use one you must burn it and make sure you get rid of the ashes by sprinkling holy water on them
Did I just see what I think I saw? Yeah you did! Now lets put it on Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline atrum somnium

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10 2008 - 09:29PM »
If something were to happen after using one, wouldn't more need to be done than just burning the board and "cleansing the ashes"? I do agree, though. Burning the board is definitely the first thing that should be done (so no more can get through). However, depending on WHAT the circumstances are, I'm not sure that burning the board would solve the problem in all cases. The Exorcist comes to mind...

Offline Ghost1

• Supreme Overlord
  • Boo
    • Bachelor's Grove
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10 2008 - 09:38PM »
If something were to happen after using one, wouldn't more need to be done than just burning the board and "cleansing the ashes"? I do agree, though. Burning the board is definitely the first thing that should be done (so no more can get through). However, depending on WHAT the circomestances are, I'm not sure that burning the board would solve the problem in all cases. The Exorcist comes to mind...

Yes, it is quite possible that  burning the board won't do much if you have "Opened the Gate"  so to speak all ready.  To be very honest with you I really wouldn't touch a Ouija board at all, I have had some very bad experiences with them as a kid.  The are very dangerous.

The funny thing is they are sold as games?
   :X
Always remember.........Just because you have never seen something, does not mean that something does not exist.

Offline Tenbears

• Apparition
    • conspiracy 2012
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10 2008 - 11:48PM »
But, I think it's Kewl! Real Demonic Possession from Ouija Board
« Last Edit: Sep 19 2010 - 06:06PM by Tenbears »

Offline atrum somnium

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11 2008 - 04:40PM »
Nice vid, Tenbears. I needed a laugh. LOL

"Tell us something". It's no wonder she got possessed. You have to be respectful to whatever entities you encounter with the Ouija board.

Offline Tenbears

• Apparition
    • conspiracy 2012
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11 2008 - 08:44PM »
Thanks, the jury is still out on this one...
« Last Edit: Sep 19 2010 - 07:27PM by Tenbears »

Offline atrum somnium

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11 2008 - 09:46PM »
Thanks, the jury is still out on this one...    ;)

In my honest opinion (coming from my own Ouija experience), I think the video is a fabrication. The planchette (or glass in the video) was moving too fast and too smoothly. Normally, there is a pause after the question is asked, and the planchette moves in a slower, jerky motion (like the characters in an old stop-motion movie). Again, that's from my own experience.