Author Topic: Wizard of Oz and Darkside of the Moon  (Read 1845 times)

Offline spookypooky

• Apparition
Wizard of Oz and Darkside of the Moon
« on: Jun 26 2008 - 03:58AM »
It has been a long conspiracy that when Pink Floyds "Dark Side Of The Moon" is started at the 3rd lions roar at the very beginning of "Wizard Of Oz" it has matched too perfectly. A few years back friends of mine and I decided to give the whole thing a whirl. I must say we were shocked at all the similarities! It took a long time but theres constant coincedances. Heres an excerpt of one of them. Its a little long but its strange that "Money" chimes in right after finding Oz. Also , if you wait till more of the end youll see they dance in sequence. There are other impressive parts when you do it in full; this is an example. Ive always thought it was a little too close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvT-C8QArok&feature=related Qu

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
Re: Wizard of Oz and Darkside of the Moon
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26 2008 - 04:04PM »
Trippy!

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26 2008 - 05:21PM »
That's interesting. However I would have to see a whole lot more than that to think that there is any direct influence.  I'm not a musician but I had music appreciation in college and I am a dancer so I do know that music is written with certain beats. Either a half count, a four count, eighth count and so on so many songs will coordinate with the same visual. And then there is the dance sequence. The dance is also choreographed in beats so one dance routine will match beats with thousands of songs. We used choreograph our routines and then choose our music instead of the other way around because it's much easier to get a song to fit a dance routine than to make a routine fit a song. Of course that's why the big shots pay mega bucks for real talent when it comes to choreographing dance numbers.

Don't get me wrong here Spookypooky.....I'm glad that you posted this because it's still an interesting theory and the idea came from some place. And I'd like to hear what someone else thinks about it cause I'm not an expert on much of anything just a know it all on everything.....LOL  j/k
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline BobbyBuka

• * Banned *
  • Mere Mortal
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27 2008 - 10:45AM »
The touring show "Laserspectacular" has been around since the late 80's (I think) and actually tours large theaters around the country and shows what they call either "Dark Side of the Rainbow" or "Dark Side of Oz" (they seem to switch the name every couple years....anyway, here's their site:

http://www.laserspectacular.com/

-and it starts off by showing the movie "The Wizard of Oz" with the Pink Floyd music synchronized to it...Steve and I saw it a few years ago.

I don't think Pink Floyd ever said they intentionally created "Dark Side of the Moon" for this purpose, did they?  If not, my impression was exactly what Colleen is saying...I think the music just happens to appear to fit what's going on in the movie in places.

Here's another website where they explain all of the "connections" between Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz....

http://www.everwonder.com/david/wizardofoz/

I don't know, I still say it's just coincidental.

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27 2008 - 01:45PM »
Neat!

Offline BobbyBuka

• * Banned *
  • Mere Mortal
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27 2008 - 02:33PM »
you know, I'm years and years beyond the point in life where I might have indulged in certain "recreational substances" that I'd guess 90% of the audience probably indulged in....

I had to be real careful how I worded that!

Anyway - it still was a real good show!  I think it was only something like 10 bucks each to get in, so if this is ever in your city, I would absolutely recommend it!  The lasers are very cool and you get to see "The Wizard of Oz" up on the big screen (actually they project it on 3 big screens) synchronized to "Dark Side of the Moon" - so how can you beat that???

-and they don't show the whole movie...only as far into it as the album lasts, but they have the laser display going on then, too, and then when the movie ends it just becomes this huge laser display.

Offline spookypooky

• Apparition
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29 2008 - 08:18AM »
Oh I would love it! I party a little here and there. Yet, when you watch the whole thing its hard at times not to notice so many coincedences. ;)

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29 2008 - 12:17PM »
you know, I'm years and years beyond the point in life where I might have indulged in certain "recreational substances" that I'd guess 90% of the audience probably indulged in....

I had to be real careful how I worded that!

Anyway - it still was a real good show!  I think it was only something like 10 bucks each to get in, so if this is ever in your city, I would absolutely recommend it!  The lasers are very cool and you get to see "The Wizard of Oz" up on the big screen (actually they project it on 3 big screens) synchronized to "Dark Side of the Moon" - so how can you beat that???

-and they don't show the whole movie...only as far into it as the album lasts, but they have the laser display going on then, too, and then when the movie ends it just becomes this huge laser display.

That sounds like fun!
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com