Author Topic: New Viewpoint on Ghosts  (Read 3794 times)

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
New Viewpoint on Ghosts
« on: Jul 26 2008 - 12:35AM »
I got a book at my local library that has some very interesting insights. It is a book written by the woman that is the main "ghostly" advisor for the tv show "Ghost Whisperer" with Jennifer Love Hewitt. What is interesting about the book is that she disagrees with a lot of the ideas surrounding ghosts.

1. Ghosts do not suck energy from electric devices. Her theory is that ghosts take "emotional energy" from places where lots of people congregate (i.e. movie theatres, bars, homes with children), anywhere that people are active and emotional.

2. Ghosts do not interact with other ghosts, nor can a negative entity hold ghosts away from crossing over. She believes that a light is opened at the time of death and is held open until the final funeral rites are completed. The spirit has the chance to "go into the light" at this time after death. It is up to the spirit whether or not to cross over. She remarks throughout her book that ghosts can easily cross over even after years as a ghost by going to a funeral home and using another's light. That person's light won't dissappear after being used...complicated theory, but interesting.

3. Ghosts cannot predict the future or tell you anything they wouldn't have known in their living lives unless it is something they were able to witness after death since ghosts can go anywhere and see everything. So, I.E. a person is poisoned by their significant other but doesn't know it. As a ghost, they still wouldn't know it, unless, after death, they witnessed their murderer disposing of the chemicals, or their body, etc.

4. Cold spots are fake. She says "earthbound spirits can only create subtle breezes of warm or cool air. Animals can be sensitive to these changes.

5. Ghosts do not walk through people. Ghosts are nervous and uncomfortable around most living people because they know they don't belong among the living.

6. Ghosts do not announce their presence with knocks or with scents. She claims to never have encountered this.

7. All ghosts know they are dead. They are confused because they lost their oppurtunity to go to the light and they don't know where to find the light. Or they don't want to go to the light for several reasons. But they know they are dead.

8. Ghosts don't usually haunt graveyards. No one is there. Since ghosts feed on the emotional energy of the living they congregate where lots of people meet and where lots of emotional energy is present. Such as a movie theatre or a home with a couple teenagers. ( I think BG is the exception, since there always seems to be someone there, and everyone is looking for attention from a ghost)

9. "The Light" may or may not be heaven. The author says that what happens in the light is unknown to her. She admits to "white lies" to spirits to get them to cross cuz she thinks the living have the right of way.

10. Even when she (as a medium) creates "the light" for spirits to cross, they don't always choose to do so. She can't force them to, so she does her best to convince them (here's where the "white lies" come in).  I.E. suicide victims are afraid they will go to hell when they go into the light. The author doesn't know where they are going but she tells them it will be fine anyways. Just to get them to go....
Some spirits still won't cross.

11. Infants and young toddlers don't stick around. She says she has never seen one. And adds that her grandma told her that infants and young toddlers had guardian angels that take them over. She admits that this was her grandma's philosophy.

12. Ghosts that stay around loved ones might find that their loved ones get old and die. At this point is when, supposedly, ghosts will seek out a new home. An old ghost will go where there are things to remind him of his old life. A child ghost will seek out a home with children and toys. A teenage ghost will seek other teens or a dance hall or movie theatre, etc.

13. She uses a lot of the same protection that is commonly described. But her personal most powerful protection is "quince seeds". Seeds from a quince, which is a rare citrus fruit.

Some interesting and strange ideas. She is very "Matter of Fact" throughout the book. The book is called When Ghosts Speak by Mary Ann Winkowski. Check it out! Her theories get much deeper throughout the book, I only outlined the basics in this post just to show how different I think her view is. Interesting!

Offline Jeepgirlgina

• The All-Seeing One
Re: New Viewpoint on Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27 2008 - 01:47PM »
She has some interesting ideas.  I can't say that I agree with them but I always keep my mind open.  Especially since no one really knows the whole truth when it comes to the paranormal and after life. 

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27 2008 - 03:12PM »
Well she said herself that no one really knows for sure. But I do have my favorite mediums and the ones that I trust and they have said bluntly that the spirits communicate with them by showing them certain things like a flower or a certain type of flower. John Edwards says that roses mean something and so on. Also Lia Williams...who is an all time favorite of mine....says that they do use smells and such to show they are near. I don't think that all spirits that communicate with mediums are "earth bound" spirits. And then there are the few things that I have experienced personally that seem to not go with her ideas...such as batteries draining and lights flickering. It's all energy. Why wouldn't they be able to use it? I just think that perhaps one medium may not be able to experience what another medium can and vice versa. I admire most the ones who don't act as if they know everything. I don't think it is possible to know everything bcause then you would be like God. And that's just not likely to happen.

Thanks Ghostlight for this informative post. If I ever have the time to read I might just find this book.
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27 2008 - 04:15PM »
There is a lot more to the book that I didn't explain. For example, she believes that ghosts don't suck up or use electrical energy. But she admits they like to mess with stuff to get attention, since it is easier for them to manipulate energy than to move solid objects. She admits a clear difference between earthbound spirits (which is what she sees) and spirits that have crossed over (which is what she cannot see). I.E. She says crossed-over spirits can often visit in dreams, but for earth-bound spirits it is extremely difficult. She also devotes an entire chapter to animal ghosts. A chapter to child ghosts. And a chapter to evil entities. 

Offline MusicianMommy

• Apparition
    • Musician...Mommy...MAYHEM!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28 2008 - 01:46AM »
1. Ghosts do not suck energy from electric devices. Her theory is that ghosts take "emotional energy" from places where lots of people congregate (i.e. movie theatres, bars, homes with children), anywhere that people are active and emotional.

I'd have to agree with her on this point - but don't necessarily agree with the way it's worded.  Ghosts don't USE electrical energy - but they *do* have an effect on it, since it IS energy, and therefore, easily maleable to them.  They CAN, however, easily manipulate emotional / human energy - hence the "feelings" that people tend to experience when encountered by a ghost.

2. Ghosts do not interact with other ghosts, nor can a negative entity hold ghosts away from crossing over. She believes that a light is opened at the time of death and is held open until the final funeral rites are completed. The spirit has the chance to "go into the light" at this time after death. It is up to the spirit whether or not to cross over. She remarks throughout her book that ghosts can easily cross over even after years as a ghost by going to a funeral home and using another's light. That person's light won't dissappear after being used...complicated theory, but interesting.
  I believe that in certain instances, a ghost CAN interact with another - but only if they were killed during a joint incident... ie, if two people were killed in the same automobile accident and do not cross.  However, her stance on "the light" bothers me.

3. Ghosts cannot predict the future or tell you anything they wouldn't have known in their living lives unless it is something they were able to witness after death since ghosts can go anywhere and see everything. So, I.E. a person is poisoned by their significant other but doesn't know it. As a ghost, they still wouldn't know it, unless, after death, they witnessed their murderer disposing of the chemicals, or their body, etc.
I agree with this statement.  A ghost cannot predict the future any more than you or I can... unless they were psychic PRIOR to death... even then, I don't feel that they would maintain that ability after death.

4. Cold spots are fake. She says "earthbound spirits can only create subtle breezes of warm or cool air. Animals can be sensitive to these changes.
Eh.  While I agree that energies can be either cold OR hot... her outright claim that clod spots are fake... maybe she just senses them weaker due to an amazing buffering ability?

5. Ghosts do not walk through people. Ghosts are nervous and uncomfortable around most living people because they know they don't belong among the living.
Totally agree... except when the ghost has a malicious intent.

6. Ghosts do not announce their presence with knocks or with scents. She claims to never have encountered this.
While generally, they may not do these things on their own, they CAN and WILL, sometimes, when requested to.  I also believe that, on the scents topic, that many ghosts *do* have a scent - but it is typically reminiscent of something that was attributed to them in life, ie their favorite perfume, etc.

7. All ghosts know they are dead. They are confused because they lost their oppurtunity to go to the light and they don't know where to find the light. Or they don't want to go to the light for several reasons. But they know they are dead.
I would have to say that yes, they all know they are dead...

8. Ghosts don't usually haunt graveyards. No one is there. Since ghosts feed on the emotional energy of the living they congregate where lots of people meet and where lots of emotional energy is present. Such as a movie theatre or a home with a couple teenagers. ( I think BG is the exception, since there always seems to be someone there, and everyone is looking for attention from a ghost)
I would have to say that while I feel that graveyards are not *generally* haunted by those who are buried there... it IS an attraction for dark entities... because it is an easy way for them to attempt attachment to the connection between one's body and their un-crossed soul.  Also, it is a WONDERFUL place for them to feed on grief, sorrow, and pain.

9. "The Light" may or may not be heaven. The author says that what happens in the light is unknown to her. She admits to "white lies" to spirits to get them to cross cuz she thinks the living have the right of way.
I'm not even sure if it IS a *light*, per say... but have to agree for the most part.

10. Even when she (as a medium) creates "the light" for spirits to cross, they don't always choose to do so. She can't force them to, so she does her best to convince them (here's where the "white lies" come in).  I.E. suicide victims are afraid they will go to hell when they go into the light. The author doesn't know where they are going but she tells them it will be fine anyways. Just to get them to go....
Some spirits still won't cross.
True... well, from my experience.  :^:

11. Infants and young toddlers don't stick around. She says she has never seen one. And adds that her grandma told her that infants and young toddlers had guardian angels that take them over. She admits that this was her grandma's philosophy.
While they may cross over very easily... they DO tend to leave behind a strong "residue" since we are, at birth, most susceptible to perceptions and connections to the "psychic realm."

12. Ghosts that stay around loved ones might find that their loved ones get old and die. At this point is when, supposedly, ghosts will seek out a new home. An old ghost will go where there are things to remind him of his old life. A child ghost will seek out a home with children and toys. A teenage ghost will seek other teens or a dance hall or movie theatre, etc.
:Y:

13. She uses a lot of the same protection that is commonly described. But her personal most powerful protection is "quince seeds". Seeds from a quince, which is a rare citrus fruit.
I had never heard of quince seeds being used.  Hmm.

Making the world a crazier place since 1981

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28 2008 - 09:31AM »
I liked getting your take on this MusicianMommy. Since I don't have any kind of "real" psychic abilities I have to depend on my instincts to tell me who I can trust and who is feeding me a line of crap. Even those instincts are very wrong sometimes. For almost a year Sylvia Brown had me trusting her so much that I tried to pay her $700 just to ask her a question. I blame Montel Williams somewhat for that since he vouched so heavily for her and I really thought he was something cool. Well fortunately she had a huge line that I had to wait in and by the time I would have gotten to the head of the line she had fallen from my graces so to speak. As I get older I don't put total trust in anyone anymore. I can't. I've been gotten too many times but for whatever it's worth I really feel that when you say something it's because you know what your talking about and you don't just say it cause it sounds cool to say ...or something like that.

OH yeah...I checked out your blogspot! Very kewl. I even posted a pretty long comment on one of your blogs...the only one that I had time to read so far..lol.  I guess long comments are kind of my signiture. I type very fast and I have a lot of nothing to say so it just kind of spills out...sorry.   emb
~Colleen~

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28 2008 - 10:49AM »
I didn't know you had a blogspot! I'm jealous!!

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28 2008 - 11:30AM »
You should get one Ghostlight. MusicianMommy's is listed in her profile I don't think that she minds that we check it out. The link is listed there. That's how I found it anyway. I have a blogspot and I will list it in my profile if I ever get time to write anything in there...lol When you create an account they pretty much require you to start at least one blog before they will let you start subscribing to other blogs. My thing is really reading my friends blogs and I made the account so that I wouldn't have to hunt them down every time I wanted to read theirs. So anyway I had to start this blog and I did. But I didn't have time to actually write about anything in it....lol ... so for now it just has a title...lol Can you imagine...I have nothing to say. Well as soon as I think of something I will post my link to my blogspot on here. And Ghostlight you should do the same.
~Colleen~

Offline MusicianMommy

• Apparition
    • Musician...Mommy...MAYHEM!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29 2008 - 02:32AM »
Yes, I have a blog...

http://musicianmommymayhem.blogspot.com/

Check it out if you like!  I just started it a couple weeks ago, so I'm *very* new to the whole thing, BUT!  I have fun.  che
Making the world a crazier place since 1981

Offline Chicagopri

• Mere Mortal
  • Ursula Kalin Founder of Chicagopri
    • Chicago Paranormal Rearch Institute
« Reply #9 on: May 01 2010 - 11:44PM »
I'm sorry have to disagree they DO talk to each other and children do stay around
Chicago Paranormal Research Institute focuses on proving  claims of the paranormal through thorough investigations

Offline Exzyle2k

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02 2010 - 12:09AM »

If ghosts do not suck energy from devices, how does one explain fresh batteries going dead when an encounter occurs? I don't think it's usable to them, since it's unnatural (not organic like emotions) but I, like MM, believe that the spirits are able to draw it out. It would also explain why spirits are detectable via EMF readers.

I think a ghost makes the decision to cross over. However I don't believe that it takes funeral rites or a specific ceremony to do so. I also believe that it's a two-way street, that a spirit can return to check up on things, visit with loved ones, etc. My grandfather does it frequently and he passed more than 10 years ago.

Heat is a form of energy, and cold is nothing more than the absence of heat. If a spirit is attempting to manifest, and is drawing upon organic energy, heat is the most easily accessible, albeit not constant and not abundant.

Really? So that's not a spirit causing footsteps to be heard down hallways, or pans to rattle in the kitchen? As for the scent, this person must never had a relative pass that wore distinct perfume, smoked cigars/pipes, or had a favorite flower. That to me is the gentlest way a spirit can let a loved one know they're still around.

Eventually, yeah... They get the hint. But initially? Depends on the method of death. Traumatic and sudden, I'm sure there's an adjustment period. Drawn out or foreseen? Then it's instant knowledge.

I believe that "the light" is simply a doorway. We describe it as a light because it's a focus point. It's why you always have the best responses when trying to interact with a spirit when you give them a focal point, whether it be a light on an digital recorder, a candle during a seance, etc.
Loading Signature...

Offline Toad22

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #11 on: May 05 2010 - 02:21PM »
interesting post and interesting debate. nice :)

Offline nothingtoseehere

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #12 on: May 05 2010 - 05:45PM »
I'm sorry have to disagree they DO talk to each other and children do stay around

I think what she said is that babies and toddlers don't stay around, but then she went on to say that children sometimes do. So, my interpretaton is that once a child leaves toddlerhood (myself, I put that cutoff at 3 for toddler, 4 for child), that's the difference.

Offline MarkMc1990

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #13 on: May 10 2010 - 06:54PM »
My main problem with some of her theories is her use of the words "do not"...are we to assume that "do not" means the same thing as "cannot" in these situations? Because there is a definite distinction between these two terms. I believe ghosts CAN use/manipulate electrical energy, interact with other ghosts, walk through people, announce the presence through sounds and scents, etc, even if most generally DO NOT because they simply choose not to...
« Last Edit: May 10 2010 - 06:56PM by MarkMc1990 »
-Mark

Offline irishlass

• Mere Mortal
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11 2010 - 08:07PM »
Hello all,   first time posting so I hope I'm doing this right!

I had a personal experience when I was only 19.  My Mother passed and I was sleeping in the bed she last occupied (she and my father had slept in separate beds for years due to her deteriorating condition)  When I was just relaxing hoping for some sleep, I had a feeling she was standing at the foot of my bed.  I could smell her- not necessarily a perfume but just that smell your Mom has or your Dad.  Everyone has their own unique scent (and I don't mean stink :wink:).  Anyway, none of the Ghost Hunters info or sites like this were available and most people that many years ago that were interested in the paranormal were considered weirdos. Most of the movies were all very frightening and so naturally I hid my head under the covers and was too terrified to say goodbye to my own Mom.  Getting to the point here,  I just have to disagree with all my heart that ghosts do not have a scent around them.  Many may not, my Mom did.  Even though I was in the same room, which you would think would have some residual smell of her, that smell that was uniquely my Mom, was only present and lingered for no more than 30 seconds or a minute- but it was there just the same.  Everyone has very different experiences so to be very black or white on any one subject would be dismissing outright someones very real and at times very emotional experience.  I am open to all theories but when one comes against what I have personally gone through, well, it becomes quite difficult to keep an open mind. 

On a side note, I am so happy to have a place to share experiences and read what others have seen or heard.