Author Topic: Hull House Pics  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Colleen2510

• High Priestess
  • Global Moderator
  • U move the table. I'm a ghost. I ave no arms!
Re: Hull House Pics
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04 2008 - 01:48PM »
I agree Colleen.  I was attacked about my apparation photo from Bachelor's Grove.  People kept saying it was photoshopped or that it was an actual person. :X  Why are those types of people  even on a forum like that then?  If they are so quick to not believe.......... what is the purpose of posting?

I love it over here =D>

I know! That was always my question! I decided that it was because they thought that perhaps it would be their chance to "stand out from the crowd" because everything they say is as if they want to be the different one wether it makes any sense or not. They will argue about something that doesn't matter or doesn't make sense and then say that "they debunked that idea"  when I never saw any debunking going on at all....LOL But I think they wanted to stand out and then found out that there were a whole bunch of other ppl that came there for the same reason.....  So then they had to form their little group. Anyone outside the group is not allowed to be right.  And they will even get more obnoxious and challenging just so they can possibly be known as "The Hardcore Critique"  lol Oh my gosh ..... it would be hilariously funny if they weren't so pesky....  No...I'm sorry.....they're still hilariously funny
~Colleen~
Ghost addict and Bachelors_Grove patron.
Where were you when the world ended?
I was at Bachelors-Grove.com

Offline adamselzer

• Ghost Hunter
  • from Weird Chicago Tours
    • Weird Chicago Blog
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13 2008 - 01:19PM »
I've been bringing tour groups out there off and on for a few years now - in 2006 it was rather active. Since then, less so.

There are two major problems with this place:
1. The atmostphere is conducive to LOTS of false positives. There are some lamps in the windows that tend to look like feminine forms. Plenty of places for light to bounce around and become an "orb." And I've seen TONS of "ghost coming down the stairs" pictures that turned out to be the same thing: the reflection of the photographer's ear.

2 (and this is the big one). most of the stories going around about the place are crap. There was never actually a devil baby, and it certainly isn't buried in the garden next door (there was a building there in 1913, when the rumors went around). There's no native american curse on the grounds (seeing as how Addams won a Nobel Prize for her work there, this would have been one incompetent band of native americans), and no headless ghost that'll follow you home if you don't cross yourself.  A major reason that I don't go there much is that some of these stories are bad news - the staff (understandably) wants the house to be remembered for Addams' work, but people tend to treat it as a ghost hunting theme park.  I've been trying to talk the other tour guides in the city into stopping spreading around the stories we know are fake, but with varying results. We ended up putting a whole section in the Weird Chicago book on "myths of hull house."  Some of the ghost stories that aren't real are pretty harmless, but the devil baby stories need to go. People hear on tours that it's buried in the garden and show up the next day with shovels and bug the staff to let them start digging.

That said, I do have some reasn to think the place is haunted - I've got some GREAT full body apparition shots that I've yet to explain away. Charles Hull very likely held seances there around the time of the civil war. That the place was haunted was sort of a running joke among Jane Addams and the staff. There was also a ghost seen regularly back at the turn of the 20th century at a house where the student center BEHIND hull house now stands. When Addams moved in, the place was right next to an undertaking parlor. Cameras do tend to act funny there; one night I had a group in which not one person could get a shot of one tree. Every time we tried, the cameras would go off or the picture would be messed up.

I also just recently did a blog entry on the reading of Charles Hull's will - it plays like a scene from "Clue." All the relatives gathered in his house (not the haunted one; a long demolished one a few blocks further west) for the opening of the envelope. A bust of Hull presided over the affair. All of the nephews and their wives expected to strike it rich.  But everything went to Hull's cousin, who was also his housekeeper.
http://www.weirdchicagoblog.com
http://www.adamselzer.com

Check out my book: "Weird Chicago: Forgotten History, Strange Legends and Mysterious Hauntings" in stores now!
Coming in September from Llewellyn : "Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter"

Offline ghostlight

• Ghost Hunter
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14 2008 - 10:31AM »
How very interesting Adam! Thanks for posting that great info!

Offline The Shadow

• Paranormal PI
  • Shaman
  • Tonight on Bachelors-Grove.com
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14 2008 - 05:34PM »
very informative posts
Did I just see what I think I saw? Yeah you did! Now lets put it on Bachelors-Grove.com